Page 534 of 534 FirstFirst ... 34434484524532533534
Results 5,331 to 5,338 of 5338

Thread: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Re: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Hi Bob,

I do appreciate your thoughts! I said that back in post #5314. A couple nights ago I tried contact printing this image on two different papers - Fomabrom 112 and Ilford ART 300. As I expected, the Fomabrom, which seems to be a fairly soft contrast paper in general, did the negative no favors due to its underdevelopment. The ART 300 fared a lot better and I like the results tonally, but not sure on the texture for this image. I haven't tried plain Ilford Warmtone paper. This negative may be better served getting remade via the digital burn process I mentioned in another thread.

Here's a scan of the ART 300 print. This paper is hard to scan but this'll have to do.
    I really don't like the Art300 paper with its heavy-handed texturing - I don't think its done you any favors. I do urge you to try the Ilford Warmtone, as this is a superb paper with excellent blacks and a very pleasing warmth that takes well to Selenium toning.

There are some images which art300 works well for. For that, I'm glad I have it around. Definitely not a general purpose paper.

Yeah, it definitely changes the feel of the image. Whether or not that is a benefit depends on the image, and preference.

I have some images from Arizona that work wonderfully on this paper - they are images of rocks and stone.

The other thing is size - with a small contact print the texture of the paper is much more accentuated than a large print. I haven't printed any ART 300 except from the box of 5x7 paper I bought to try out. I am going to buy some 16x20 soon (and definitely enlarging those AZ images to a bigger size!).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LF forum BW small-.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	170160 Hello again, I thought I would run previously posted image through Silver Efex for a black and white version. Perhaps it resulted in an overly dramatic overly grainy look.

Quote Originally Posted by john borrelli View Post
    Perhaps it resulted in an overly dramatic overly grainy look.
    Overly digital.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lf forum neutral-.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	170165 Hi Leigh and thank you for your comment. I tried running the same Fuji Velvia 100 image through Silver Efex again. This is their neutral setting. Perhaps this one is a little less digital? All the best, John

[QUOTE=john borrelli;140867 Perhaps this one is a little less digital? All the best, John[/QUOTE]

Yes but why would you use Silver Efex, that's meant to emulate an analogue impression from a digital source, where you have an analogue source?
    What I found 'digital' on the first version was not the grain but the unlikely dark and tonal differentiated sky, known from HDR digital photography. This one is better in that respect, although the image as a whole is a bit flat/greyish. Maybe this scene would have needed an N+1 development in b&w film

Thank you for your comments Otto. I have been using Silver Efex to convert some of my color Sigma DP2 Merrill images to black and white but your point about color film to Silver Efex is a good one. I haven’t used the LF camera in a while, I am sure I will be using black and white film in the future. Thank you for your time and comments, much appreciated, John