Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem getting my 3800 started

Problem getting my 3800 started

Okay I know I am going to sound like a real dummy, but...
    I just set up my 3800, removed all the tape, installed software etc. I got a refurb unit that looks brand new with a full set of ink.
    Instructions say to remove the cartridge retaining ring, but I cannot see one. Figure it may have been taken out and not replaced.
    Made a print, print head moved but no ink layed down on the paper.
    What am I missing here?

Cheers

Re: Problem getting my 3800 started

The ink may not have initialized properly, takes about 5 minutes. Look at the waste pad to see if it has a lot of ink on it (it should). Call epson and have them ship another one.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I don't think that's it Jon. It wouldn't have printed at all without initializing first. I'd call Epson for help, probably something simple.

Is the carriage retainer bracket something that would stick out if present? I cant imagine I am not seeing it if it was there.

It's been awhile since I unpacked mine, but I don't remember retaining rings or a bracket. I do remember 800 pieces of blue tape that had to be removed--many carefully hidden. Have you done a search+destroy for blue tape?

Did you lift the lid and look around? First you said "cartridge retaining ring" now you are saying "carriage retainer bracket". Anything that needs to be removed should be blue. It's been so long since I set mine up but I think there is something on the print head to protect it during shipping, again should be blue plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    Did you lift the lid and look around? First you said "cartridge retaining ring" now you are saying "carriage retainer bracket". Anything that needs to be removed should be blue. It's been so long since I set mine up but I think there is something on the print head to protect it during shipping, again should be blue plastic.

There was some tape I pulled off. Looking at the "start here" poster that came with the printer, looks like there should be an actual plastic piece that I think fits around the printhead. And there is nothing there, so I will call Epson the morning. Thanks guys

I think they use a piece of blue tape with the refurbs instead of the plastic bracket. If the printer only took a minute to initialize, it didn't charge the lines properly with ink. If you do a nozzle check and it is blank, then it didn't charge the ink lines. They will try to have you do a power clean to charge the lines, but best just to have them replace it as you would also have to do another power clean when you switch ink to matte black, which would waste a lot of ink. This is a known problem with some 3800's.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Guess I should have sent mine back. I also just unpacked a "refurbished" 3800 and had the same problems. The inks did not charge or the heads were completely clogged when shipped. After many head checks and cleaning cycles I got the matte black to print, then switched to photo black-no ink. Had to do a power cleaning cycle to get it all working. That seems to have take care of it. Epson must know this is a problem, but then it sells more ink doesn't it.

I allso just unpacked a refurbished 3800. Had the same problems. Their was no carriage retainer bracket. The inks said they charged but it seemed way too quick. Their was no ink in the lines. After many head checks and cleaning cycles the matte black worked. When I switched to photo black again no ink. It finally took a power clean to get it all working. Probably wasted 10 % of the ink, but I guess for first cartridges that is to be expected. Epson must know this is a problem and should put a notice on the refurbs. I have a question about the 3800. If you print with photo black for a while (say weeks) and then switch to matte black will the matte head be clogged like the machine has been unused? Should I switch inks everry week or two and print something just to keep it flowing?