Thread: Film processing Western Canada

Film processing Western Canada

What lab is best for processing 4x5 Fujichrome in Western Canada? Looking forward to a great summer of camping, hiking and shooting the West Coast and the Rockies.

TIA

Re: Film processing Western Canada

I'm familar with labs on the coast. In Vancouver the best place the "The Lab" (www.thelabvancouver.com). In Victoria, Prism Imaging does limited E6 processing a couple times per week. I believe The Camera Store in Calgary does as well, but I'm not sure. Hope this helps!

In Victoria, you can also go to Lens and Shutter. They forward the sheets to their Custom Colour lab in Vancouver. Back in a couple of days and good results. Prism is great as well. And if you want the sheet scanned, they have an Imacon 848 on site for that as well.

Dave,

ABC Photocolor and G. King Photo are also decent processors in Vancouver. Custom Color is down in Yaletown and does good work too.

Nova Photo in Calgary is a first rate lab.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Thanks all for the recommendations and there are a number of labs to choose from which is nice to see.

Can't wait to get to the Rockies again when the weather is nicer.

Best Regards,
    Dave J

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Dave,

ABC Photocolor and G. King Photo are also decent processors in Vancouver. Custom Color is down in Yaletown and does good work too.

Nova photo in Calgary is a first rate lab.
    I've had good experience with ABC in Vancouver, for both E6 and C41 4x5 film. You can mail in your order and they'll call you when it's done to give you the total (with return shipping) and get your credit card #.

ABL in Calgary is good. I used them all the time when I lived in Calgary.

Vistek does 4x5 but I had a few streaky slides from them so I stopped using them altogether.

If Nova is who I think they are, I don't think they do 4x5 anymore. Last I was there it was just 120 (they did a good job of that) and 35mm. I think they do all the film processing for The Camera Store (if TCS still offers the service).

Confidently Agnostic!

I was in there the other day while an understandably irate guy was receiving the news that his full box of Portra readyloads from some trip somewhere had been screwed up by the lab. I guess he'd asked for 1 stop push processing and they couldn't do that, so they just went ahead and processed normally without calling him or anything. I'd imagine mistakes can happen anywhere but it did sort of turn me off.

'course on the other hand don't most people just scan their colour now? Could probably correct something like that with a 2 second curves adjustment

Wonder if that guy is on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    In Victoria, you can also go to Lens and Shutter. They forward the sheets to their Custom Colour lab in Vancouver. Back in a couple of days and good results. Prism is great as well. And if you want the sheet scanned, they have an Imacon 848 on site for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I was in there the other day while an understandably irate guy was receiving the news that his full box of Portra readyloads from some trip somewhere had been screwed up by the lab. I guess he'd asked for 1 stop push processing and they couldn't do that, so they just went ahead and processed normally without calling him or anything. I'd imagine mistakes can happen anywhere but it did sort of turn me off.

'course on the other hand don't most people just scan their colour now? Could probably correct something like that with a 2 second curves adjustment

Wonder if that guy is on this forum.
    Hi Walter....in Prism or Lens and Shutter. If it was Portra....you probably wouldn't even notice the stop or so.

That's a camera?

The Lab in Vancouver is excellent.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    Hi Walter....in Prism or Lens and Shutter. If it was Portra....you probably wouldn't even notice the stop or so.
    Lens & Shutter.

Maybe it was transparencies that just happened to be in a portra box, but I think he said something to indicate it was portra.