Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best 4x5 developing tank

Re: best 4x5 developing tank

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    deep tanks and hangers work well ...
    It's true, but, you have to spend a lot more chemicals.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Another vote for the Jobo 3010 and 2509N. I've used them both and decided to use the 3010 when quanity warrents it. Unbelieveable quality with a CPA/CPP-2 processor.

Although I haven't used it, there is a "slosher" for developing sheet film that looks good and sells new for around $65.

Thomas

I got recently the JOBO 2551 with the 2509N reel. I trained first how to load it with a crap film and then proceeded with processing of 6 sheets. No problem. Even deveopment (I used 500ml, as my developer is Pyrocat HD 1:1:100 and one should have at least 75ml per sheet). I was rolling it on our kitchen working desk. Just if that damn thing would not leak ... (but I bought a used one).

I just got the manual JOBO roller base, but have to try it yet.
    Matus

I have a NOVA 12x16 vertical slot processor that I use for making prints up to 11x14. Its virtue is that I can make several prints during a session and then cover it up so that the chemicals do not degrade. Each time I use it I replenish about 300 ml of each chemical.

Recently I have been using this processor to develop one at a time 8x10 negatives, but because I am not changing out the chemicals, the films are being developed in Dektol. Results are OK, but...

The point being that these slot processors are very handy for infrequent development of just a few sheets of film.

Hence, I am looking for an 8x10 slot processor that I can dedicate to film development using my preferred D-76 developer. The big photo stores no longer carry slot processors and I cannot find any used ones on ebay. If anyone knows where I can find one cheap ...
    al

Ive recently started using BTZS tubes after 2 'happy' years of tray development. I would never go back to using trays or any other method. Not that Ive used any other methods but for me they all share the same drawback i.e each batch of film has to be developed for the same time.
    If you have a bunch of film that has different contrast requirements your stuck with doing separate runs for exposures that share the same dev times. If you'd shot say 3 negatives on a day out and they were N. N-1. and N+1 you'd have to do them separately when using the methods mentioned, I found that to be a bother. With the tubes you can develop up to 6 sheets of film, all on the same run, and all at different individual development times while using a minimum of chemicals with the water bath keeping the temperature very stable and the lights are on through out, and as already mentioned, each tube holds its own quantity of developer i.e 60ml making everything consistent.

I have been using the various sized (4x5, 5x7, 8x10) JOBO Expert Drums for years with superb results.

I use a Paterson Orbital and like it very much. It is tray processing, I can do four sheets at a time, and I rarely come home from a shoot with more than about 12 sheets, so it's about 1½-2 hours time to process the film (acceptable to me).

I also have a Yankee Tank which I find a pain in the arse to load and difficult to agitate, though it holds 12 sheets at a time, and I have a couple of Angelus Color Tanks, that hold 8 film hangers at a time. The only drawback to the Angelus tanks (and the Yankee to a lesser extent) is that it takes an enormous amount of chemistry.

Paterson is still in business and doing well; I bet if they brought back the Orbital, even in limited runs, they would sell.

Brian

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Edmondson View Post
    I really like the BTZS tubes because of their economy of chemicals (2 ounces) and temperature stability ( they are floated in a water bath). Many don't care for them because of the film "sticking" to the tube walls but I use a fine TEFLON mesh cut to fit the tube and it allows the chemicals to reach the back of the film. Prior to the tubes I always used tray processing and, aside from having to work in the dark, I was satisfied with the process.
    I watched a YouTube video on the use of these things. I was impressed so I went and made a set out of ABS sewer pipe. It cost me about $15 for six of them and they've been working great.

I'm interested in your teflon mesh trick. Where do you get that stuff?
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Widows and Orphans Beware

Unicolor drum and roller base have never let me down.

I have used most of the tanks listed except the Nikkor. I believe the Nikkor may be hard to find on the used market. I prefer the Combi I cant complain about these tanks they work and are readily available. I have a couple of Yankee Tanks and would not use them. I don't care for the difficulty of loading the Jobo and they are expensive! Also at least here in the USA Bob Solomon, the distributor, does a great job with support and replacement parts.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.