Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPT/Kelty P1/P2 vs 2500

RPT/Kelty P1/P2 vs 2500

I've been limping along putting an SLR-centric bag to use for my 4x5 kit. Now it's time for something better suited to the task. To this end, I'm considering a Photobackpacker pack. I'd use this primarily with my Toho, occasionally with a Super Graphic, a few lenses. I anticipate up to day-hike distances for the time being.

Any comments on the relative size and utility of the P1/P2 bags vs. the Kelty 2500? The P1/P2 bags seem more versatile should the LF disease progress and I discover one day that I'm hauling around an 8x10 kit. On the other hand, the 2500 seems like it might be a better fit size-wise for day-pack use of a modest 4x5 setup. Would I be "swimming" in a P2?

Your thoughts and advice on the subject are greatly appreciated!

Re: RPT/Kelty P1/P2 vs 2500

I had a 3100 setup and just got the P2. Unless you're quite petite, the P2 won't be all that huge on you. It's quite comfortable, but I need to do some more tweaking with the suspension system. The fact that it can be tweaked so much is wonderful, but means I have to fiddle a lot to get it just right.

Bruce should probably get a few pictures of people wearing it to help give an idea of its size, but it's about the same size as a 3100, which Kelty considers a "Day Trip" pack. It's based on the 3100, but he fixed everything that bugged me about the 3100 so, grumble grumble, I went and ordered a P2. I can actually find a use for the 3100, so I had even less of an excuse for not getting a P2.

The fixes were:
    Squared off the top of the bag to give more usable room in the main compartment.
    Larger outside secondary compartment.
    Made the main compartment easier to get into. I can now use the space on either side of my camera box to store up to 6 4x5 film holders, 3 per side, so for a "light" trip I can leave the side pouches at home.
    Added two pockets inside the main flap, I use the top one for my filter case (with room to spare) and the bottom for my wide angle focusing frame (with even more room to spare).
    Added a pull-out rain cover that can be used as a dropcloth.
    Toughened the bottoms of the water bottle holders so you could better use one for tripod feet.
    Added straps on either side to be used to add additional stability to the tripod.
    Added slots to hold the optional side pouches.

None of those fixes are in the 2500, so, if any sound useful to you (and yes, you have to have used a 2500 or 3100 before to really appreciate them as fixes), then you'll want to stick with a P1 or P2.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

I have the new P2 and also the older one, I think it is the 3100.

The P2 is much larger and deeper. It will accommodate a case for my Arca 4x5 whereas the 3100 is not deep enough. For your outfit, the P2 might be overkill but it gives you room to pack extra things depending on your habits. The suspension system on the P2 is more robust and it has pockets that attach to the outside that will hold 4x5 film holders (about 6 on each side) but can also hold boxes of Readiloads if you use those.

As noted previously, the P2 is also solid enough to carry a tripod on one side (I recommend a light carbon fiber tripod though) and the 3100 won't hold that load easily.

I just lugged my P2 around Death Valley loaded with and Arca Swiss F-Line Metric, lenses of 75, 90, 135, 150, 210, and 300 mm, compendium lens shade, 2 light meters, 22 film holders, umbrella, darkcloth, and tripod. Although I am still recovering the pack is fine and did a great job.

One thing I do to keep the pack clean (which might seem silly) is to stuff a piece of a space blanket in one of the outside pockets so I can put that on wet or dirty ground before dropping the pack. It worked really well in muddy environments and also in salt flats and sand.

Since you're in Seattle, you should take advantage... we have the REI flagship here, so you can check out the Kelty's and try them out with some help from the sales staff. They'll also help you figure out what size you need. There's also a North Face store a few blocks south of Pike Place where you can get some good choices and good service. The North Face makes good-quality stuff.

Don't get me wrong, so does Kelty -- or else the Photobackpacker guy wouldn't have picked Kelty. I tried on a few Kelty packs at REI; they're well-built packs.

And if you want to just go for the no-compromise best fit possible, talk to Dan McHale over in Shoreline. Your wallet might regret it, but your body will appreciate it, especially if you start lugging around an 8x10.

I got a customized McHale Super SARC II or something like that, it's a backpacking pack that's around 70 liters or so. I lugged around 50 pounds of gear up Mt. Dickerman over the summer with that pack.

His support is also quite good. Being local, I just made an appointment, met him at his shop, and let him gather measurements. I used a demo pack for almost 5 months before placing my order, and when he finished making it, I went to pick it up. He helped me adjust it and all, making sure that it fit correctly and that I knew how to adjust it properly before sending me on my way.

If you go to REI, The North Face, or Outdoor Research (the OR store is directly across 1st avenue from Art Wolfe's gallery), you'll get good service, but they can't customize a pack like Dan does.

Also since you're in Seattle we ought to meet sometime -- it would great to meet another LF shooter around here, there aren't enough of us

So I just took my brand new backapck from Photobackpacker - the Kellty 2650 filled and made a few photos JUST FOR YOU - they are rather shabby (only the room lights and quick PS crops), but should be enough.

As I sai, I got my Kellty 2650 from the Photobackpacker together with the backer board (not used in the photos here) and long lens case (LS-1150-4: 12x4.5x4.75"). I already have the C00894 case for my tachi.

you see in the pictures:

1) the empty backapck - fully opened

2) The backpack filled with:
    - the long lens case (nearly as ling as the backpack is wide - there is 1" left
    - the camera case with tachi (the darkcloth fits also inside)
    - 5 4x5 film holders packed in a thick soft cloth from Novoflex (really good one, actually)
    - 1 liter bottle to fill the empty space.
    With such content you would still easily put a jacket or sweater on top of these things.
    - The backpack is NOT overfilled - it just looks like that.

IMPORTANT: if I would not pack the camera inside the case (and also the lenses) MUCH more stuff could be fit inside.

3) The backpack with the stuff inside closed - with the main back pocket opened - I would guess that all necessary stuff should fit here easily

... to be continued
    Matus

... second part

4) The Kellty 2650 with a Feisol Tournament 3442 attached (The Photo Clam PC-33 ball head is not mounted) and with ANOTHER (my wife has one too ) 1 liter bottle on the other side. Note that the tripod was attached just to show the size (it is 48 cm or 19" long when collapsed) - I would attach it a bit differently for the real use.

5) Side view - as you see the backpack is rather flat when compressed. It also shows my only small complain - the upper compression straps are placed a bit too high (or the backpack a bit too thick on the top - so it may "hang" a bit when you don't pack it well (=lot of weight on bottom and not filled up). But this is price for the (VERY) light weight.

Bottom line:
    - I am very happy about it - it is just what I needed for 1 day trips with my LF stuff, or more technical (=demanding) 1 day trips and less camera stuff. I find the material very good - should last long. The small "daypack" part is well structured to accept small items like filters, cable releases etc. The suspension seems to be good, though I can not comment on it too much yet.
    - If you need to cary a lot of other stuff than consider a bigger backpack (I would try the P1/P2) with the side pockets.

If you do not fill it too much it will fit the carry-on regulations. It will fly with my to New Zealand in 3 weeks - I will report afterwards.

PS:
    - please not that the belt (well done one) was removed to save weight for the carry on.
    - I have also the backer board for it, but need to discuss with Bruce about it, so I would not comment on that.
    Matus

Just a note to add on the photobackpacker system. He also sets those up with a few Granite Gear packs as well. I myself went with the Granite Gear Nimbus Access FZ 3800 system and it works great for my 4x5 outfit. Boy are those granite gear bags comfortable for long hikes. Esspecialy if you fill them up like I do. They do not completely open up at the bottom. But thats where I put the camera, so its not hard to access it as when the back flap (on backpack) is open I can still pull camera out diagonaly.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Wow, thanks everyone for sharing all of your perspectives and photos. Lots of good things to think about. I'm now leaning to a P2-sized pack, just for the extra versatility that offers.

Rakesh, good point about the REI and other local suppliers. I've been to the REI a few months back for some very preliminary tire-kicking, but at the time it was hard to judge the size of the pack relative to the kit I expect to carry. I'm due for another trip. McHale's work looks great as well, but that may be a bit over the top for me right now. ;-)

Rakesh (and any other Seattle folk), drop me a PM -- I'd love to get together! Life has left me a bit starved of LF shooting late; I'm looking to get out and shoot something, anything, and soon! (Hmm, let's just not take that out of context now, shall we! )

PM sent...

McHale's stuff can be overkill

It's also member sale month at REI... so if you're a member, you get a 20% discount on one item... and they're also sending out their dividend notices now. I plan to use mine to get a good sleeping bag

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post

If you do not fill it too much it will fit the carry-on regulations.
    so has anyone tried that photobackpacker in the overhead of a regional jet? success?