Thread: Mildew-y Coated Nylon

Mildew-y Coated Nylon

So I am sniffing and I start to noticed that my old daypack smells kind of mildew-y. Then my carry-on luggage has the same funk. And now even my lovely Patagonia rain jacket....

Yet my heavier weight Goretex type stuff is fine and we are in dry heated air, etc. So a wash and Fabreeze are in order I think.

Does older coated Nylon just rot after ten years and get nasty? I remember some old early Goretex rain gear from the early 80s started smelling like fish after 15-20 years but I thought they solved that technical hurdle? Or is this just a loosing battle and it's better to live with it, spray Fabreeze on it every time you use it, or just toss - err. recycle it?

I don't think I'm going to try recoating it!

Re: Mildew-y Coated Nylon

If it's just nylon wash it in a gallon of water with 1 oz. of bleach. That should kill the mildew. Rinse it good and it should be fine

It could be mildew, or with some of the products you mentioned (the daypack and luggage) it could be the urethane waterproof coating. Certain types of this coating as they age, especially if they've been tucked away tightly somewhere, do take on a gamey smell. More often it vaguely smells of vomit (lovely). I have several older packs and tents that have acquired this distinct aroma. Airing them out in the sun gets rid of it but eventually it returns. Your Patagonia rain jacket seems an unlikely candidate. That company always used more sophisticated coatings (typically of the breathable kind) than the more common urethane waterproofing - which does not breathe until it begins to disintegrate and flake off.

The aforementioned mild bleach treatment may help too.

My experience and thinking is similar to Mark's. I've had no luck in beating the smell, so unless you can overlook the odor they're done for.

Unless someone has a better answer??

I bought some Febreeze awhile back to treat a musty bellows but decided not to use it because it is corn-starch based. I envisioned how that could break down over time into fine dust that might eventually migrate inside my lenses or end up stuck to my emulsions.

I too expect that it's UV-degraded or oxidized urethane. I've got a 20 year old Gregory backpack that I use constantly for hauling around all of my photo gear. It started doing the urethane slough about ten years back. But it was otherwise such a stout and comfortably-carrying pack as to be worth recoating.

Washing with Tide or some other similar strong laundry detergent should help detach the urethane, and a good long soak and a scrubbing with a stiff scrub will remove most of the loose and shredded pieces.

Because it was easier to source, I used a spray can of clear acrylic Krylon. Ten years down the line the pack is still hanging tough. But it might be preferable get urethane varnish specifically made for this. Kenyon is a brand found at REI or other large sporting goods stores.

Drew Wiley

Nylon is routinely coated with urethane for water resistance. When this breaks down
    or is improperly applied it has a piss smell. It's only a matter of time. You get a decade
    or so out of nylon. Goretex is typically treated with Scotchgard, at least for apparel,
    and this needs to be reapplied from time to time. Cordura type fabrics might or might
    not be treated. I generally try to avoid urethane coatings except on a removable
    pack cover.

Widows and Orphans Beware

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    I bought some Febreeze awhile back to treat a musty bellows but decided not to use it because it is corn-starch based. I envisioned how that could break down over time into fine dust that might eventually migrate inside my lenses or end up stuck to my emulsions.
    So what did you use for the bellows? I've just acquired a "new" old camera and the whole kit smells like it was in somebody's mildewy basement for 30 years, which it probably was. I need to get rid of that smell. Any suggestions?

Supposedly "What Odor" should do the trick.

http://www.what-products.com/shop/
    Alec