Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Users, Questions about bubble levels and front standard

Chamonix Users, Questions about bubble levels and front standard

Just picked up and been putting some serious time into a new Chamonix 810. Sturdy as hell and a fun camera. I have noticed 2 issues and am wondering if these are common among others.

The bubble levels on the camera are seemingly inconsistent. If I level the Left/Right on the top of the rear standard it's not consistent with the one above the Ground Glass.
    Also the forward and back one is also not consistent with the one of the side of the rear standard. Is this common? Seems an odd thing to have off on this pricey a camera.

The other thing I noticed is the front standard screws that control rise and tilt do not clamp down completely. I can tighten them but still I am able to tilt the front standard rather easily. Is this also common/ It's a not a huge problem but I always afraid a small bump will create tilt when I don't want it.

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: Chamonix Users, Questions about bubble levels and front standard

I don't know about the levels (since I rarely look at them) but I too have noticed that the tilt on the front standard never really locks down completely solid. I've never had any problems with it slipping, but have noticed that it can be moved without loosening the knobs.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Brian - as I mentioned, my levels are inconsistent also - the top dual level being the most off, and the right rear a little off. The bottom and left side are calibrated. I think the rear-standard side levels are handicapped by the fact that they are inserted into the metal bracket, which I assume means they are built into the standard early and not calibrated into the design at the end of the build.

And I see what you mean about the tilt not locking completely. I was wondering if adding a lock washer in the tightening assembly might firm it up, but I wouldn't want the same washer to eat away at the wood or a plastic part.

The other issue I'm having is that the columns for the front standard are pressing into the bellows when folded. My backpack is tight, and this doesn't help. But some kind of parallel stop when folded would prevent the columns from digging into the bellows. I use a piece of foam when folded - pics here and here.

I wonder if other cameras at this level of workmanship have bubble-level issues. Was your ebony spot-on with the levels?

Aside from these relatively minor issues, I love the camera.
    Craig McCormick
    Indianapolis, Indiana

FWIW, I've had several cameras with bubble levels (including two Ebonys) and never used them. Those little levels built onto cameras never looked like precision instruments to me. I found that I could usually get things square faster and easier just using a gridded ground glass instead of trying to get the bubbles into perfect position.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The levels on the Ebony were pretty nice and helpful in most situations. At this point it's habit and I often am in pretty dim light so hard to trust the gridded lines.

I have a 45n-1 coming this week and I'm looking forward to it. Its like joining a club.

I've shot LF for 25 yrs. however and have had different phases of level usage. Early on, I figured that I would rely on what I saw, and would use a level only when I was needing help. I ended up doing a ton of copy work (paintings) over the years and had to straighten things out constantly.

Now as an older guy, I like to zero things out at the start, most definitely. After years of human error, my strategy in general is to give myself a break and use routines, such as zeroing the standards at the outset.

Its good to know in advance that there might a discrepancy, that'll save me some grief with the new toy.

JY

I have a 45N that has this issue. The levels on the rear standard don't match and I've had to replace two of them for drying out since december. The right level on the rear standard is installed crooked so it's impossible to match it with the left side. Hugo knows about the issues and has forwarded them to the factory.

Similar issues with the bubbles. In addition, at least with the ones on my 45N-1, the viscosity is so thick that bubble takes a while to move. In the end, like others, I rely mostly on the GG grid lines to level the camera (I shoot nature/landscape.)

As far as the screws on the front standard. I actually like that even though it's snug and tight, I can still move it for minor tilting adjustments. Rise/fall I have to loosen. I don't worry about the tilt moving - it would take a pretty good jolt to move it.

Lon

Same issues with spirit levels here on my 45N-1.

inconsistent and even worst : the top one on the rear standard is unsteady and is about to tear off the camera. I noticed that last week and didn't have the time to look if I can fix it or not.

I shoot mostly architecture and I use spirit levels a lot. so I always carry another one with me that I use on the GG.
    Also, I agree with Lon on the viscosity beeing too thick.

Other than that, I had no issues with this camera. neither the bellows compressed by the front standard nor the clamp problem.

sweet field camera. I love it.

Helpful to hear all your comments. I think it a bit irresponsible on their part to take such care in the camera and then be so careless about a detail like levels. Also have the super viscous issue as well.

Like you all say, otherwise a great camera.