Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Release for 8x10

Quick Release for 8x10

Look at the Horseman quick release. I use one for my view cameras and have no trouble with its stability. The camera plate is about 3.75 inches long by about 2.75 inches wide. It slides into the tripod mounted receiver over spring loaded buttons so that the camera cannot slide out. Then there is a lever that you move that pushes a large circular plate in the receiver "up" which locks the camera plate solidly into position. You screw the camera plates on by hand as they have a large knob in the under side for this purpose.

Quick Release for 8x10

William,

I realize your problem is solved, but for the benefit of others I would like to add to Brian's post since I too use the Bogen 3057 heavy duty head (on the 3036/3236) with our Tachihara 3X 8x10, which weighs about 12 lbs. Big and solid (nominally 4x4" 3297 plate, 4.4 lbs--whether w or w/o the plate I'm not sure), it has proved rock steady for us. The plate attaches by inserting screw into camera's threaded hole. Since both the locking lever and the safety lever have to be operated in order to release the plate, the camera is unlikely to be accidentally separated from the tripod. But of course it is difficult for one person to handle so large and heavy a system, and I consider a second pair of hands almost a necessity for both mounting (which requires retraction of the locking lever) and detaching the camera. (Another difficulty is presented by short handles on the head's controls). But if steadiness, even at the expense of weight and ease of operation, is what you're after, the 3057 is one good way to go. Good shooting, Nick.

Quick Release for 8x10

I have a differ way of doing a quick release. I have a Wisner 8x10 and I have that on a Majestice head. I attatch the camera to the head at the begining of the day's shooting when the head is on the tripod. THEN after the first shoot I REMOVE the WHOLE HEAD AND CAMERA!! the head fits on to a 1 7/8 aluminum support so I just loosen the head and it all comes off. I then put the camer and head back in the vehicle in a simple wooden cradle and go to the next location. I did this to save wear and tear on the 1/4 inch thread and I also can travel with the camera ready. I have two tripods with the the 1 7/8 top post one HEAVY and one medium. So this was my solution , I just was NOT happy with doing the B.S. with those sloppy quick change thingamabobs. SO why doesn't WISNER or on of the others address this concern with a really good Quick Change. ALso the Majestic has a 4" x6" head plate so that 8x10 is really on there steady!!