Thread: Fujinon 250mm f6.7 in Copal Shutter?

Fujinon 250mm f6.7 in Copal Shutter?

I've been reading about Fujinon 250mm f6.7 lenses being mounted in Seiko shutters. But I noticed the other day that mine's mounted in a Copal shutter. It doesn't say Copal No. 1, like my 180mm Schneider. Comparing side-by-side, the shutters look about the same size, though.

Was this common? Is it possible that mine's a transplant?

I'm just kind of curious.

Dave Karp

Re: Fujinon 250mm f6.7 in Copal Shutter?

Hi Neil,

I don't own one of these, but I have this crazy obsession with wanting one even though I have lenses at 210, 240 and 300mm! So I look every time someone sells one here and check out sales on Ebay from time to time. I must have seen hundreds of these! All that to say I have seen many examples both ways, so my guess is that the life of this lens spanned the time from when Fuji switched from Seiko to Copal. Memory tells me I have seen a bunch with the notched silver ring and the jagged ring too.

So far, I have resisted the urge to buy one!

I bougt mine new from B&H in 1986 (orders were made though telephone in those days) . It came in a Copal shutter that is still OK!

Thanks! As I say, I was curious. I hadn't really noticed.

Mine is in a Copal shutter.

I've owned several of them, only one in a Copal, the rest in Seiko shutters.

I have been told by knowledgeable folk that the Seikos are tougher, more robust, last longer, etc. but I haven't noticed any difference.

The nice thing about the 250 f6.7 in a Copal is it is more compact, making a smallish lens even smaller and easier to carry around.

Two characteristics are critical for mounting a lens to a shutter:
    1) The thread specification, which may be different for the front and rear cells ala Copal 1.

2) The thickness of the shutter, being the distance between the front and rear faces.

The location of the aperture/shutter blades WRT the front face of the shutter is also important.

Back in the early days, these parameters varied from one shutter manufacturer to another.
    So a lens designed for a Compound shutter would not necessarily mount in another brand.

At some point (WWII?) these parameters were standardized among manufacturers.
    Shutters built to that standard are interchangeable.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.