Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: funny questions about your LF camera

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: funny questions about your LF camera

In October of '08 I was on the Skunk trail up in the Redwoods in Northern California with my 8x10 set up at full extension on a group of three mushrooms. The exposure is going to be something like 8-9 minutes and I'm ready to pull the slide when I notice this couple coming up the trail. I decide to wait for it? The women comes running up to me and says very seriously "Are you someone famous?" I looked at her with a very serious look on my face and said " Yes, I'm Ansel Adams cousin!" I thought she was going to faint! She asked my name and I told her. How disappointed she must have been when she got home and googled my name only to find posts on the forums and no website. I really like messing with people. It sure is fun. Not like they do not deserve it!

Jim

Jim, that would have been the Skunk Cabbage Trail, you stinker! LOL!

Vaughn
    PS...I have been asked the "Are you somebody famous?" question, too.

I was in the catacombs in Paris with my home built 5 x 7 I call Nadar. My intent was to do serious skullduggery with dark inky shadows in the backdrop. I found the perfect spot. Dirty, dark, damp, a place where a claustrophobic could crawl out of his skin. There were neat orderly rows of vertebrae, carpals, pelvics, clavicles, femurs, tibias, fibulas and several thousand skulls. You name it, all 206 bones of a typical human skeleton laid out like a Versace fashon display in an outlet mall. I set up Nadar and took a light reading and thought to myself, who am I kidding? A stinkin light meter ain't tell me anything HERE. The reseprosity failure alone will kick me from here to Les Deux Magots. I have ta think out of the box. I set the aperture at f16, put the timer on B and held on for dear life. My knuckles were white as I held on to the shutter release, hoping for a break to achieve the perfect combination of sensitivity and creative cryptic response to my surroundings. I took 2-3 pictures that day, all technically good but looking like bla, however I met about 20 people in that lousy rat hole full of bones. They all were coming out of the woodwork asking me stuff about taking pictures, in every language thinking I was some kinda expert. Imagine that.

When I am in the field with the wista or sinar f1 I find myself talking more than taking a picture. It hasnt for me yet but I can see it striking up a sale. Hopefully once people see LF photog's working in the field they understand the time and effort that goes into a shot.

The only one that springs to mind is:

''Is that an industrial camera?''