Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon Eos Adaptor Plate to fit View Camera

Canon Eos Adaptor Plate to fit View Camera

Has any body bought or used one of these Chinese adaptors, for use on Digital SLR to view camera.

Appreciate any feedback
    Ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-Fits-Can...3A1%7C294%3A50

Re: Canon Eos Adaptor Plate to fit View Camera

No, I haven't and I wouldn't. Just consider the tiny chip (even FF) compared to the large 4x5" film area. Due to the extension caused by the adaptor ring, using wide angle lenses is out of question. That's why I don't see any use of this device for my landscape work, where I use mainly wide angle lenses.

If I remember correctly, there have been threads about this subject in the past. You may wish to use the search function to find them.

I have a sliding version from Widepan, and it's useful in a fairly limited way. Because of the mirror box and the extension of the adapter itself, the shortest lenses that will focus to infinity, depending on the camera are around 180mm, maybe shorter with a dedicated wideangle camera. Using the shift movements of the adapter as well as the rise/fall/shift on the camera, you can make about a 3x3 or 4x4 or maybe even larger tiled image, depending on the lens and subject distance, and stitch them into an image larger than the sensor on the camera.

The limiting factor on the size of the tiled image is vignetting due to the DSLR body and the adapter tube, unlike a MF digital back, where the sensor is closer to flush with the mounting plate.

So it's kind of a handy thing for some kinds of close up, still life and copy work, less so for landscape, unless you would typically shoot landscapes with a long lens on a medium format camera.

Have you noticed the compatibility :

" All 4x5 Lager Format Camera "

Mine's a Gin & Tonic

I haven't, but I would like to try it, it's on my short list of accessories to get.

It sounds like a cheap alternative to Cambo Ultima or Horseman LD. What's more interesting, I see it as a great stitching aid - most opponents of stitching complain about inability to compose the entire shot prior to capture, and this method would solve that problem, as well as the parallax.

The only two downsides I can see compared to the usual stitching method are the awkward and slow procedure and the fact that LF lenses are genraly not as sharp or fast as the 35mm ones.

I have a very sophisticated version but with that being said, it is much easier just to use a panoramic head and stitch the work. Some of these stiching programs out now are so good that you can almost do this sort of thing hand held. Save your money.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

Seems to me that with a wide angle lens, at some point the lens mount will oclude the camera sensor long before you run out of coverage. Now it might be useful if you were doing close up work with a nice macro lens and didn't want to spring for a dedicated bellows.

With a modern LF lens, like a 180/5.6 Sironar-N, I've found sharpness to be pretty good on the stitched image.

With any lens long or short, indeed, the lens mount will occlude the camera sensor long before you run out of coverage, which is why you can only get about a 3x3 to 5x5 image stitch with sufficient overlap to avoid having to fiddle with it manually; whereas, with an MF digital back you might have a 16 shot mode, and such.

The attraction of this to me is that you can compose on the groundglass and use all the camera movements, and then just refocus for the DSLR, and everything else stays the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Have you noticed the compatibility :

" All 4x5 Lager Format Camera "

Mine's a Gin & Tonic
    Well spotted - now that is a girl who know her drink.

My brother is using an adapter "bellows" on his Sinar P (?). It has a rear lens mount ring that fits on his Caon 5D II. He uses the Sinar rise and shift geared movements to shift the camera. I don't remember the name of the adapter, but it shouldn't be hard to find. it works well, within the limits of shading by the mirror box. I think he can get 5 full to partial images across and maybe 4 high. He has used it with a 90mm Nikkor.
    Ping me if you wi=ould like me to find out more.
    Dave Hally