Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter for B&L barrel lens

Shutter for B&L barrel lens

I just got a new G. A. S. stresser from ebay. It is an f/4.5 6 1/2" (by the math, J's rigatoni test proved about 13") Bausch and Lomb barrel lens, the pic is here. The filter threads (front and back) are 62mm. Two elements with aperture range from 4.5-32. Retaining ring thread is about 67mm and the ring flange OD is about 80-81mm. There are five equidistant countersunk mounting holes around the face of the flange.

What shutter would my G. A. S. need in order to be satiated?
    Thanks.
    CW

Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee. - The Yeti

Re: Shutter for B&L barrel lens

One that a machinist fits it for. Old barrel lenses usually weren't designed to fit in shutters, much less shutters that were designed decades after the lens. For a 14" f:4.5 Tessar you'll need a Compound #5 and about $350 worth of machine work. A Betax or Ilex #5 might also work.

Cheers,

Steve

Christopher, if you're going to shoot 4x5 with it, front-mounting is another possibility to explore. Front-mounting adds extension (hint).

Alternatively, there may be a long Graflex in your future.

The Sinar Shutter lets you shoot barrel lenses to your heart's content.

Some forum members have mounted a Sinar Shutter on other cameras, including wooden field models.

I use mine on a Sinar P, and have several barrel lenses. These days, I use vintage lenses much more than new ones, on 4x5 and 5x7.

Almost every photo on this page was made with the Sinar Shutter and vintage lenses, many of which are in barrel. Since it gives accurate exposures up to 8 seconds, it comes in very handy when doing close shots, with lots of bellows extension.

Many older lenses don't offer great coverage or color correction - and they aren't always small and light - but those criteria are important for architectural, flat field copy work, and landscape photography in the field. For portraits and close-ups, vintage lenses can be just as good, if not better.

Chris, I think what you've bought is an 8 1/4" 5X8 Bausch & Lomb Tessar. Get some slow film and stop it down. Use it a bit and see if it's anything you're willing to spend big $$ on for shutters and the like. Did you see the piece I posted earlier this week about the B&L tessar's?

vickersdc

Chris, I see you've been busy whilst I've been away!! Forget shutters - cut some photographic paper, expose at ISO 1.5(-ish) and use a lens cap for a shutter. The exposures at f16+ will be several seconds anyway.

See what I learnt to do in France with the Pony Premo..?!

Ken: great shots !

Using the Sinar shutter is the best way to go and you don't need a shutter for each lens that passes by....

If got a P2, so that (mechanical) shutter will be on my wishlist !

Greetings,
    Peter

Thank you Peter. Yes, unless you plan to travel long distances on foot, the Sinar is a great option.

My used Sinar P cost less than a new field camera, and less than many other used cameras too. The cost of a used Sinar Shutter, is roughly equivalent to the cost of having one lens mounted in its own shutter, by a professional. I am grateful to Igor's Camera Exchange for making me aware of this combination.

And of course, thanks always to Jim Galli for promoting the beauty of vintage lenses.

If money is not the only consideration, mounting the lens in its own shutter may be the best option, since it lets you use the lens on any view camera or field camera.

If you have just a P2 and no Field, the Sinar shutter is the best option money wise if you want to use some old lenses.
    I have one old brass lens, covers 5x7 inch, it is in Holland and I am in Brazil, that I would like to use on my Sinar, just to see what I can do with it.
    Going the papertrail at first would be an option as mentioned above.

Got a lot of nice things to try-out when I am back in Holland for a holyday !!!

Peter

pics show a 5x7 Seneca competitor view with built-in sinar shutter, it works perfect.
    Regards
    Martin