Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transitions: Another of Ansel's iconic trees succumbs to age

Transitions: Another of Ansel's iconic trees succumbs to age

As I was driving into Yosemite Valley last week, I was surprised and saddened to see one of my favorite trees had finally succumbed to age.

I understand from folks at the Gallery, that Evan from their staff, was the first among them to note its demise, some time around Christmas.

Located on the north side of the Merced River just west of Pohono Bridge, the tree was raised to iconic status with Ansel's ca. 1950 image "Early Morning, Merced River" which is sold today as a Special Edition Print. That was the first SEP my wife and I ever purchased, long before I first discovered the tree's location years ago when I spied it framed in the window of the bus I was riding on to Tuolumne Meadows more than twenty years ago.

Up to that point, I was certain it no longer existed. The tree was growing in the narrow strip of land between the road and river, but because smaller trees had grown up around it, I had never noticed it before.

As soon as I returned from the high country, I made a visit to see it up close. Like so many other of Ansel's subjects, this tree had expressive geometry that resembled a ballerina balanced on one leg with outstretched arms.

In its old age, it was still an extraordinary specimen, but the other trees obscurred what still appeared to be the best viewing angle. Even so, I'd visit it periodically just to soak in its timeless energy.

The bank beneath it was undercut severely, and it seemed to defy gravity. Surely it should have fallen years ago. After the heroic flood in 1997, among the Yosemite photographic community, there was speculation it would not be standing when the waters subsided. Miracuously it was still there.

Aside from Ansel's images, I've seen precious few photographs that captured its character. Robert Dawson found a unique angle when he was in the park participating in the re-photographic survery in 1990, for the parks Centennial. Ansel also has an identical view taken in color, in autumn, that appeared in his color book (and the back cover).

Are there any more images of it out there?

Re: Transitions: Another of Ansel's iconic trees succumbs to age

Is it this tree? Sad news indeed.

Bruce Watson

I enjoyed visiting that tree often, also. I photographed its roots long ago and made one of my favorite carbon prints with the negative -- before I realized it was one of AA's trees. RIP...

Vaughn

PS...My image is on the AA Gallery website http://www.anseladams.com/contempora..._hutchins.html "Oak, Roots, Merced River, Yosemite" It is the seventh image of the "slideshow". Since it is a single transfer carbon print, the image is reversed.

Eric Biggerstaff

I always liked that tree! Good thing is, now it can be photographed in a new way!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Indeed, Bruce.

It appears that the trunk split right at the base of the tree. Just a sliver of the trunk appeared to be alive when it fell, much like a bristlecone pine.

The entire tree, save the roots that Vaughn captured in his image, has fallen into the river. The water moves pretty quickly on that stretch of river, so it may not linger in its present location beyond this spring, especially if weather continues like the present.

Since I arrived last Tuesday, it has snowed 6 inches, 6 inches, 3 inches, 6 inches, 1 inch, and in the last two days, about two feet, and it is still coming down.

Keith, thanks for a sensitive memorial to a treasured icon. Vaughn, thanks for the link to your shot of it's roots.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Yes, thank you Keith. The very familar limb sticks up as if to wave goodbye

Michael E. Gordon

I hope this hand-held digital snapshot doesn't get me run out of this forum

I found and snapped Ansel's oak on November 6, 2008. I wasn't looking for it, and was caught by surprise when I realized it was his. I knew then that it wouldn't last long, seeing how undercut the bank was and how exposed were many of the roots.

Life goes on. To me it means that it's one less Ansel photograph for photographers to replicate

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

In all of my trips to Yosemite I could never find this tree. It sure is a beauty and I'm saddened by its loss. But that is the cycle of life in Yosemite. I'm glad we have some fine images of this one for all to see. Vaughn, thanks for the link. The image is outstanding.

Keith, I came up on Saturday to deliver my image to the Yosemite Renaissance for the exhibit that opens on the 27th of this month and had to leave on Sunday. I did manage to expose 2 sheets of 11x14 on some other oaks in the valley on Saturday. . The snow was great and I did not want to leave that Sunday but had to get back for the new job. You are lucky to be there. I'm coming back on the 27th and I hope for more snow at that time.

Jim

Hello Jim!

The tree was just a half-hearted stone's throw from the road, not far after the intersection of HWY 120 and 140, heading up the Valley. Millions of tourists have passed it without a glance...and who knows how many photographers (with their copy of The Range of Light and their guidebook, The Tripod Holes of Ansel Adams beside them in their car...LOL!)

I can't remember how I found it -- just walking along the river with the 8x10, I guess. It was a couple years later I found out it was one of AA's trees (those roots had captured all my attention!).

Have a great time at the Yosemite Renaissance Show Opening (and congrats again for getting accepted into it!). I was hoping to be there, but time is getting short and I put up a show locally on March 2nd. It looks like I'll be in the Valley the weekend after that.

Vaughn