Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rare American Ads from 1848-1875

Re: Rare American Ads from 1848-1875

I have a giant lens marked R. Walzl, Baltimore. No. 10,033 It doesn't have the drive anymore but it appears not to be the earlier radial type. Maybe there was some overlap with such a large lens being mfr.d but not sold so that it was transferred to Walzl even though the HBH numbers extend slightly beyond this? Or maybe it's something else altogether? It's large enough to be perhaps a 20 inch f3.8 but it is missing one rear glass, so un-usable.

Moderators,

Just tried the link and the link in the OP leads to a site that has been reported by somebody and then checked by Google as distributing malicious software.

Norton and Google caught me before it connected.

Dan is aware of the problem & sorting the issues. Sometimes hosting services get hacked which has happened here, it happened to me two months ago,

Ian

I too got the warning.

Maybe two years ago I visited the "Medium Format Library" and the malware "ErrorSafe" started to download on my computer. I stopped the process and haven't visited the M.F.L. since.

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    When I try to access this site I get a message from Firefox that it's an "attack site," meaning it tries to install malware or do some other bad thing to your computer. I have no idea how accurate Firefox is with this sort of thing, a site for old advertisements certainly doesn't sound like a place that would be doing anything like that. But I've been using Firefox for over a year and this is the first time I've gotten such a message so I don't think it's something they take lightly.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Yes, as Ian stated, my site was hacked and Network Solutions is cleaning the site. I am hoping it will be clean today or tomorrow.

Thanks
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Hello Jim,

You might want to compare to lens No. 10216 on the HB&H Serial listing. If the one you have is stamped, then it could be that Walzl rebranded HB&H lenses stocks. I have yet to find a reasoning behind the few stamped serial numbers on the list, though so far they have only been the last lenses produced. Notice that No. 10006 was engraved, and not stamped.

http://www.boxcameras.com/2brasslenses.html - No. 10216
    http://hbh.gordonmoat.com - HB&H Serial number listing

The best way for me to tell would be to see the machining work on the brass. Since there were not standardized sizes for many of these early lenses, the manufacturers had some room for finish work to distinguish their lens from that of a competitor. While many are quite similar, there are a few aspects to look at that might suggest who machined the brass parts. Unfortunately, the drive is one of the more distinct parts, so it would be tougher if that is missing.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I have a giant lens marked R. Walzl, Baltimore. No. 10,033 It doesn't have the drive anymore but it appears not to be the earlier radial type. Maybe there was some overlap with such a large lens being mfr.d but not sold so that it was transferred to Walzl even though the HBH numbers extend slightly beyond this? Or maybe it's something else altogether? It's large enough to be perhaps a 20 inch f3.8 but it is missing one rear glass, so un-usable.

PLEASE NOTE THAT MY SITE IS NOW CLEAN AND FREE OF ANY ISSUES as of June 5, 2009..

thanks
    Dan

www.antiquecameras.net

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html