Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexico

Mexico

Just returned from a 3 week trip to Mexico City and Cuernavaca. I decided to take my 4X5, and am pleased that I did. I had no problems and the people I encountered as they couldn't have been nicer. It was also interesting to see the same photography group continues to exist on Calle Hamburgo, Club Fotografico de Mexico, where I rented darkrooms 35 years ago. Also noteworthy was one of the club founders, Enrique Segarra (age 86) was exhibiting his work in the Sullivan Sunday art fair. His work was historically significant I think, with fotos of Diego Rivera, and Mexican life 50-60 years ago. I really liked many of his fotos, alas they were all framed, or I would have bought one.

Re: Mexico

Terry, It's great to hear this. My wife and I are contemplating moving to Mexico for retirement. I still actively shoot formats to 8x10 and would like to continue. We're thinking of Merida but have no idea of photographic resources in the area. I sell work through a number of galleries in the US and want to continue my work which requires a darkroom for LF. I wonder if there are any darkroom rentals in the Yucatan?

Don-not sure about the Yucatan, but the big problem in Mexico is supply of materials. For example, fiber paper is difficult at best to come by, and seems to be available only up to 8X10. Happy retirement. I would gladly retire in any one of several locations in Mexico, but alas la esposa no tiene ganas de jubilarnos en Mexico.

I also have to say that the security police in the centro historico couldn't have been nicer-once they realized my 4X5 was a camera not a toaster. I am not sure what they would think of an 8X10 camera.

Google Club Fotografico de Mexico A. C. with your question about darkroom rentals. Maybe they could help.

Thanks Terry! Retirement is a little way off but we're starting the planning now. We're headed down in July to stay with friends and start looking at homes in the centro historic district.

I guess the worst case scenario would be ordering paper and film from the US or having my son send it down.

Have you considered other areas in Mexico. Merida has a very hot and humid climate pretty much all year long. There are other cities in Mexico at elevation of 4,000 to 6,500 feet that have moderate temperature and humidity all year around. Above 6500 feet the nights can get a bit chilly, even at 15-20 degree north latitude.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Thanks Terry! Retirement is a little way off but we're starting the planning now. We're headed down in July to stay with friends and start looking at homes in the centro historic district.

I guess the worst case scenario would be ordering paper and film from the US or having my son send it down.

sandy one of the big attractions of Merida is a base of good friends that my wife and I know from the US that live there. Second the art community is alive and strong there. We currently live in Knoxville tn and the summers can reach the upper 90's with 85% humidity and even higher. If I remember correctly you live on Greenville Sc. How do temps and humidity compare with Greenville?

Don,

Do you mean comparison Greenville to Knoxville? If so I would expect summer temperatures and humidity are similar. Knoxville is a tad farther north at about 36 degrees north latitude compared to Greenville at 35 degrees, but elevation here is slightly higher at about 1050 feet compared to about 900 in Knoxville. Course, that is at one location and the terrain here and there is very rolling so it could vary a lot.

Merida by contrast is at about 21 degrees north latitude (that is farther south than Havana, Cuba), and has an elevation of only 30 feet. Probably the climate of Houston, Texas or New Orleans, Louisiana would be a better comparison to that of Merida, though you do get some wind to help things out.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    sandy one of the big attractions of Merida is a base of good friends that my wife and I know from the US that live there. Second the art community is alive and strong there. We currently live in Knoxville tn and the summers can reach the upper 90's with 85% humidity and even higher. If I remember correctly you live on Greenville Sc. How do temps and humidity compare with Greenville?

I was looking for your opinion comparing the heat of Merida compared to Greenville. I've been in Greenville many times in the summer and frequently travel to Charleston SC. and know the heat well since I've lived in the south for over 57 years. Our friends in Merida are from Charleston and have been in Merida for the past five years. They say the heat is less objectionable than what they experienced in Charleston. Tolerance to heat is an individual thing and having lived in the hot south for so long I pace myself and get out of the sun in the heat of the afternoon. I actually like the heat and rarely run my car AC until the temp gets above 90F. Also there's always something cool to drink and a shady place to relax.

Thanks!

Don, Terry,

My wife has been fantasizing about retiring somewhere in Latin America since I took her to Costa Rica for the first time 30 years ago. We're close to retirement and thinking harder about whether/where to relocate.

To me, health care issues and the general frustrations of living in the third world, not to mention language issues (more of a problem for my wife than for me, and of course her unhappiness/frustrations becomes mine), seem insuperable. What have I overlooked?

We have substantial time on the ground in Nicaragua, CR, Panama and Paraguay, know the frustrations at first hand. Have also been in Mexico, but not a lot.

Cheers,

Dan