Thread: Gundlach Portrait No. 6 ,need Info

Gundlach Portrait No. 6 ,need Info

Hey Guys I Picked Up This Large Portrait Lens From My Buddy Who Got It From His Freinds Grandmother Whos Husband Was A Photographer. Whew!
    Anywhooo Its A Gundlach Manhatten Portrait No.6, 19 Inch Lens, F-4.5, Series A, Serial Number 119425. Just Wondering If Anyone Has Any Info On It, I Cant Seem To Find Anything On It Anywhere. Any Info Would Be Appreciated

Re: Gundlach Portrait No. 6 ,need Info

Petzval type lens for 8x10 coverage.... If marked "Gundlach-Manhhatan" dates to about 1902-1910

Lets see a pic - it must be a huge lens..

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Of interest because Gundlach Petzvals were never f4.5 that I know of. They had 2 series, A and B and iirc A was f5, smaller for the field and B was f4 larer for the studio. A quick look at the catalogs at Seth Broder's site would confirm. f4.5 was usually reserved for Tessar type and Dialyt type lenses and sometimes triplets. A picture would help.

i saw this lens. it is big. about 8-10+ inches tall and a diameter of 5 inches or so. barrel is aluminum....i think. iris in the barrel....no water house stops. says Manhattan on it.

lets see some pictures anyway.....

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Mr Galli, here is some more info on the lens, its 5 inches in diameter, and 9 1/2 inches long. Aluminum painted black. I included pics of the markings on the front of the lens. I held it up to my 11x14 Ansco studio I purchased from Mr Whitaker a year ago and it seems like it has plenty of coverage. I have tried to research this lens before but never was able to find any info. Thanks in advance........Frank I have not had the oportunity to shoot with it yet but I should be ready within the next month.