Thread: Modified by Zone VI?

Modified by Zone VI?

Hello,

Is there a way to see if actually my Pentax Digital Spotmeter has been modified by Zone VI for real? It doesn?t have the ?typical? Zone Scale on it and that makes me wonder; it only has a simple label attached to the handle that says: ?modified Zone VI Studios? .

Thanks for suggestion. Al.

Modified by Zone VI?

Al, If you aren't sure whether it's been modified, you might also want to have it calibrated -- in other words, Calumet ought to be able to tell you, and at the same time calibrate it. I have a modified meter, and I was told to contact Service M-F at 800-462- 2550, ext 2258 for full details. They might be able to tell you how to check without sending it in. JDClark

Modified by Zone VI?

The scale probably just fell off (or was damaged and someone pulled it off). It's basically an Avery stick on label. Calumet sells these for about $3, or if you have some Avery Labels and a printer you can make one yourself.

The guy who did the mods for Zone VI is Richard Ritter. He places ads in Shutterbug for meter repair and calibration (also large format camera repair). His phone is 802-365-7807. PO Box 401 Deer Vally Road, Townshend VT 05353. rrig4mat@sover.net

I found the ad on page 256 o the July 2001 Shutterbug.

Modified by Zone VI?

Hi Al, for the digital Pentax, don't you just use the 1 to 10 IRE scale on the intermost ring to figure the Zones? I don't know, I'm asking. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Best, David

Modified by Zone VI?

Hi David,

I don't pay attention to the IRE scale. I mentaly try to figure the tones by looking the EV scale/numbers.

Thank you to all for your kind help. Best, Al.

Modified by Zone VI?

The zone scale has nothing to do with the modification. It's a scale that anyone can buy from Zone VI/Calumet, regardless of whether the meter has been modified or not. The important thing is the "modified by Zone VI" sticker. If that's on the meter then it has been modified, unless of course the person who sold it to you defrauded you by obtaining the sticker from another meter and putting it on yours which seems unlikely but possible.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Modified by Zone VI?

It seems to me Fred Picker had some scheme to test if your meter met 'his' standard. Put the spot on a light bulb that has a dark background and then slowly move it off. If the needle drops the moment the spot leaves the bulb, good deal. If it drops slowly after leaving the bulb, indicating internal flare...well...

Modified by Zone VI?

I have an unmodified Soligor Digital Spot Meter that passes that test, but is not modified by Zone VI. In addition to flare reduction, the Zone VI mod replaces the photocell and some electronics to make the meter more linear across the entire scale.