Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Epson R2880 versus 3800

Re: Epson R2880 versus 3800

I'll mention two things that have been touched on here about the 3800 that are irritating though I still am very happy with mine:

With respect to not having to worry about the switch from photo black to matte black - sometimes the printer will make this switch without any forewarning and without any desire on your part to make the switch. This happens when you aren't careful about which paper type is being displayed. This problem has been discussed in detail in another recent thread so I won't repeat it all here, just be forewarned that unless you NEVER switch paper types, you need to always check which type paper the printer is displaying before you hit the "print" button. At least that's what I now do, having been stuck with unwanted ink type switches three or four times.

With respect to refurbs - if you buy a new 3800 and you encounter a problem that requires you to return it and get a replacement, the replacement will be a refurb. You'll get a full set of inks with the refurb just like you got with your new printer but you're still getting a refurb, not the new printer you originally bought. I learned this when my first 3800 developed a feed problem a few weeks after I bought it and I had to get a replacement. I will say that the replacement has been fine, no problems at all, but it bothered me that I paid for a new printer, the new one had a problem not my fault, and I ended up with a refurb.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The cost of switching inks isn't a big deal. If you don't overpay for ink carts, a round trip costs about $3.50. I usually wait until I have a print run to switch in either direction. My perspective may be a little different because I sell 50-75% of what I print, but I don't think it's a big deal when the cost is spread over your print runs.

i would wait for the 3900 or unitl its out to buy a deep discounted 3800. I was weighing in selling my R2880 and I ended up not doing so.

the main reason is the vivid and light vivid magenta. the 3800 does not have this feature. the 4880 however does.
    Ektachrome 64 x wishes and Tech Pan Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I will say that the replacement has been fine, no problems at all, but it bothered me that I paid for a new printer, the new one had a problem not my fault, and I ended up with a refurb.
    That is unacceptable, and you should (have?) taken this up with Epson. That cannot be a standard business practice for them. I'm really irritated to hear about that!

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    They aren't always the best.
    Epson is not the biggest. But I believe they lead the pack in terms of quality and technology development, quirks aside. My opinion, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

Cool Re: Epson R2880 versus 3800

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    Epson is not the biggest. But I believe they lead the pack in terms of quality and technology development, quirks aside. My opinion, but I'm sure I'm not alone.
    Surely Epson outsells everyone else in the large photo inkjet printer field.

OK, my ancient Epson 1280 bit the dust. Correction: It was printing crap photos but it was printing. Then I decided to fix it. Now it's broke.

Being the obsessive/compulsive person that I am, I did a bit of analizing and comparisizing.

I have a letter size HP photo printer. It's working fine for my needs up to letter size paper. It won't accept Moab Entrada Natural Rag 300, but I'll get over that.

Reading this and other threads, and doing a bit of poking about on the interent, it appears that all 3 photo printer companies reserve all the goodies for the big bucks high dollar 17" and up printers. The Epson 3800 is the leader of the pack. Canon and HP have loyal followers. All of the entry level 17" printers are on the wrong side of $1,000.

Then the lightbulb went on:

For the very infrequent prints larger than 8x10 I can send them out.

I can make 11x14 B&W prints in the darkroom.

$1,000-$1,500 buys a ton of film, paper & chemicals or a good headstart on a larger format system.

I won't be shopping for a new inkjet printer anytime soon.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    . . . I will say that the replacement has been fine, no problems at all, but it bothered me that I paid for a new printer, the new one had a problem not my fault, and I ended up with a refurb.
    No Kidding! That would make me angry.

You paid for a new printer, you should have gotten a new printer that worked.

Talk about a shady operation. That printer you received could well be a defective unit that someone else returned.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    No Kidding! That would make me angry.

You paid for a new printer, you should have gotten a new printer that worked.

Talk about a shady operation. That printer you received could well be a defective unit that someone else returned.
    Tell me about it. IIRC I called Epson when I realized the replacement was a refurb and was basically told to go pound sand. Their theory was that I had a used (by me) printer before so I shouldn't complain when they sent me a used (by someone else, who knows who, how much, etc.) printer in exchange for my used printer.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.