Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HP Combi Tank

Re: HP Combi Tank

I have three combi-plan tanks. I avoid the drain and fill time issues by going dark to prewash the film, then transfer the film to the dev tank, install lid and develop in daylight, go dark one minute before ending the development, transfer to the stop bath tank, agitate, then transfer to the fix tank, install the fix lid and finish in daylight. In this way, I begin and end the development of each sheet immediately and evenly---works great.

I tried using the three tanks in the dip and dunk method of agitation but found that I got really uneven development. The development greatly evened out when I started using inversion agitation with the tank in daylight.

Ive been using the Combi-Plan for 10 years. It's the only way I've ever developed 4x5 sheet film. Some people don't like the fill or drain time. I find it to be about 30 to 40 seconds. To mitigate any possible ill effects of such relatively long fill and drain times, I pre-wet the negatives for about 2 minutes. I also ensure that my development times are never less than 10 minutes.

Finally, I agitate by inverting the tank on its narrow side, not front to back. This keeps any hydraulic pressure of the swishing developer or fixer off the face of the film. This ensures the film doesn't pop out of the guides.

Never had any problems. Highly recommend it. Much less expensive than a Jobo.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Nick Kanellos; 13-Feb-2009 at 20:49. Reason: Gha... why don't i proof read my posts before submitting.
    Nick Kanellos

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    ... if desired with B&W 12 sheets can be done by loading 2 sheets in each slot base side to base side.
    Another Combi-Plan fan here. Only had mine for a couple of years since I got into 4x5, but it has been essentially problem free (except, er, when the operator forgets to close the vent and begins inversion, for example ... ).

Anyway, Bob, about this 12-sheets trick.

I have heard that it is possible and have been meaning to give it a try. I usually shoot about 12 sheets on an outing, so that would cut down the developing work and time considerably. Are there no caveats? No gotchas? If it's T-Max 100, for example, I can just load 'em back to back and everything else runs as normal?

Cheers,

Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent10D View Post
    Another Combi-Plan fan here. Only had mine for a couple of years since I got into 4x5, but it has been essentially problem free (except, er, when the operator forgets to close the vent and begins inversion, for example ... ).

Anyway, Bob, about this 12-sheets trick.

I have heard that it is possible and have been meaning to give it a try. I usually shoot about 12 sheets on an outing, so that would cut down the developing work and time considerably. Are there no caveats? No gotchas? If it's T-Max 100, for example, I can just load 'em back to back and everything else runs as normal?

Cheers,

Kent.
    Kent, some people prewet the film to minimize any possibility of the film bases sticking to each other. The Univ. of Montana taught cutting a piece of fiberglass window screen to the size of the film and making a sandwich of two sheets of film with the screen between them. In any case back to back processing only works with B&W film and you must make sure you load the film back to back. Never emulsion to emulsion or emulsion to back.

It's an excellent system - sure it ahs a few quirks but if you take your time it is (probably) the best option available?

Thanks Bob!

Window screen sounds like a really good idea to provide a little separation (you could probably even market it as an "option").

I'll give that a try.

Cheers,

Kent.

I wouldn't recommend the 12 sheet trick. It was a disaster when I tried it.

I have used the Combi Plan tank for about 30 years. Sometimes there are problems with uneven development along the edges of the film but they are usually traced to operator error. My method is to soak the film in water in the tank for several minutes. Then, in the dark take the film and rack out of the tank and add the developer put the lid and lights on and use the inversion method. I also use 2 other tanks with water and fix. The film is then washed in the Combi tank.

I have tried to develop 12 sheets at once with fiberglass screen material between pairs of negatives. Sometimes it works very well and other times there are impressions of the screen left on the negative. I have not found a way to remove them.

I use a Combi-Plan tank and almost always develop 12 sheets at a time in it. I put film back to back with nothing in between and it works fine. I do agitate a bit more aggressively than I do for 35mm tanks. I take the film out of the CP half way through the fix and do the rest of the fix time and the washes in trays. Sometimes I have to redip in weak developer to clear the anti-halation coating before finishing the fix.

I've used the screen method to process more than 6 sheets in the combi tank, and while I can say that it works, it takes some concentration to be sure that everything is in order. I eventually came to the conclusion that, given the time and effort involved in shooting the damn stuff, I wanted a process that was less tricky.

JY