Page 22 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your home made camera...

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Re: Show us your home made camera...

Thank you Nana

I was given a crate at work (thank you, Paulie), and I'm making it into a 16x20 box camera (the Alaskan). Not that I intend to use 16x20 film, but I could if I found some under my pillow one morning. I intend to use 14x17 X-ray film. I'm working out a way to load 4 sheets into the camera without holders, which would allow me to shoot 4 sheets in a day, if I was so inclined. I'll have to load/unload the camera in the welding shop, where I can arrange safe lighting. Then I can load the camera into the back of my truck and look for inspiration. I plan to use the 28" element from my T/R triple. My box is 17" x 27" x 33" inside. I've put a few coats of black paint inside, but I'll need a few more. I have some casters I'm still debating using. I don't think they'll be very useful. I also have some carrying handles, which definitely will be useful. I don't know what this thing weighs, but it's substantial, constructed of 3/4" plywood. The guys in the Fab Shop are cutting me a piece of 1/8" plate to use as a kind of guillotine film plane. I want to put three leveling feet on the box, because I won't be using a tripod. I'll most likely shoot out of the bed of my truck most of the time. I know it's not pretty, but it suits the environment here. It will look right at home in the back of my truck, or on a well pad, or at any of the facilities. I'm thinking of adding front rise, though I won't be able to see the effect directly until I process the film. I'm hoping to have it loaded and ready for spring break-up. I apologize for the images (iPhone).

Oops.

Jay, why the "oops"? That sounds like a great project! Hope you post some of the photos taken with it.

Colin, oops referred to my posting two of the same image in the previous post. I will post photos as soon as I have some. I'm very curious, and don't really know what to expect.

I'm re-thinking my scheme for a 4-sheet film system. Since the box is oversized, and in the interest of simplicity, I'm thinking I might install a couple of sleeves, like the ones used in changing tents, and use the camera itself as a kind of changing box. I could make a box for unexposed film, and another for exposed film in the bottom of the box, and just reach in and change the film between exposures. I might as well take maximum advantage of the size and bulk, and it would give me somewhere to store my film!

Hi Jay.
    looks like a big project, look forward to seeing the finished article.
    this is my latest addition to my Wide collection,finished it Yesterday,and a test shot as well, Cheers all
    Now working on my last one, started machining the blank last week.
    PS this is getting obsessive

Very nice, Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I'm re-thinking my scheme for a 4-sheet film system. Since the box is oversized, and in the interest of simplicity, I'm thinking I might install a couple of sleeves, like the ones used in changing tents, and use the camera itself as a kind of changing box. I could make a box for unexposed film, and another for exposed film in the bottom of the box, and just reach in and change the film between exposures. I might as well take maximum advantage of the size and bulk, and it would give me somewhere to store my film!
    Com'on, don't be shy. Why not to put there a shower room to wash the film after development..?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    How will you close the sleeves against light before you take your hands out of them - with the film inside ready to be exposed?