Thread: Super glue and baking soda trick

Super glue and baking soda trick

I just came across this and can think of a few camera repair and other jobs that would benefit. Repairing plastic film holders comes to mind.
    If it will fix a helicopter blade, holding together a broken standard on a Cambo should be a piece of cake!
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.

Re: Super glue and baking soda trick

Hmmmmm, run test first.

Re: Super glue and baking soda trick

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I just came across this and can think of a few camera repair and other jobs that would benefit. Repairing plastic film holders comes to mind.
    If it will fix a helicopter blade, holding together a broken standard on a Cambo should be a piece of cake!
    Maybe you should get more information about the stuff before you make your educated guess.

"When added to baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), cyanoacrylate glue forms a hard, lightweight adhesive filler (baking soda is first used to fill a gap then the adhesive is dropped onto the baking soda). This works well with porous materials that do not work well with the adhesive alone. This method is sometimes used by aircraft modelers to assemble or repair polystyrene foam parts. It is also used to repair small nicks in the leading edge of composite propeller blades on light aircraft.[citation needed] The reaction between cyanoacrylate and baking soda is very exothermic (heat-producing) and also produces noxious vapors." (Wikipedia)

All it does is making filler. At the price of "very exothermic" reaction.
    And, in the case you don't know it, the cyanoacrylate glues become brittle if exposed to the temperatures < 0C.