Thread: Ink Jet - Dark Prints:-(

Ink Jet - Dark Prints:-(

I wonder if there is a way to bring in to alignment screen image values with print values. I have been working with different epson stylus photo printers, I've tried recently the 3800 pro, very nice machine. But the problem remains. Had to add +/- 25 moreluminosity and contrast to obtain a reasonable print with values near the values on the screen.
    Thanks for giving advise for getting "quality" prints.

Preston Birdwell

Re: Ink Jet - Dark Prints:-(

If your monitor is not calibrated, you need to do so. If it has been calibrated recently. you need to ensure your system is using the correct profile. Profiling your monitor is the first step you need to take.

Second, make sure you are using the correct profile for your printer/paper combination, and also that the settings in your image editing program and your printer driver are correct.

Once this is done, and if you are still having problems, let us know, and we'll attempt to sort things out for you.

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

You might find this article helpful: http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/My_Printer_Is_Too_Dark

In a nutshell, you need to be able to turn your monitor down to paper-brightness, and then calibrate it.

I think this was alluded to in a recent thread by Carl Geyer. Ken Lee suggested setting the brightness on the screen to the brightness level that you will use to view the print. Others suggested adjusting the screen color temperature to the color temperature you will use to view the print.

As chance would have it I am using the same setup as Geyer - an Apple Cinema display with a G4 Mac. I had already done the calibration as suggested (brightness and color temperature) by, I think, in a book by Steinmueller (sp) and using the proper printer profile I get a surprisingly dead on reproduction of the chrome. But of course the sparkle in the transmission view of the chrome exceeds the inkjet print version.
    OTOH I'm really new to this digital rats' nest so these are just my initial impressions, but this seems to make sense to me.

Give me my Ilfochrome, even with all its' limitations!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

check that the gamma of the images' color profile is 2.2
    If your image is in Prophoto (gamma 1.8) and you print with "Let printer determine colors" option, you WILL get dark prints when printed with Epson driver, as driver is assuming gamma 2.2. data stream.

All my ink jet prints were way too dark but when I took the plunge and bought something better than my A4 Epson ( the Canon Pro 9500 ), I also bought the Spyder 2 Pro. After calibrating the screen and using profiles from the paper mfr's websites ( Harman, Ilford etc ), the results have been spot on from screen to print. Black and white work still frustrates slightly but with colour work its as close as I need it.
    If you haven't thought about calibrating, it is certainly worth it and either the Spyder or Huey ranges are not that expensive at all.

There's always good info to be gleaned here http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Coquis View Post
    I wonder if there is a way to bring in to alignment screen image values with print values. I have been working with different epson stylus photo printers, I've tried recently the 3800 pro, very nice machine. But the problem remains. Had to add +/- 25 moreluminosity and contrast to obtain a reasonable print with values near the values on the screen.
    Thanks for giving advise for getting "quality" prints.
    1. Set a realistic display luminance value. For most users/ambient light conditions this is 100 cd/m2 or less.

2. Use a working space based on L*. A gamma of 2.2 dictates that low values will print as near black and is to be avoided.

3. Optionally, calibrate your monitor to L* as well.

4. If printing B&W, select ABW tone settings that give the most linear output (a mid value prints as L*=50).

5. Create a linearization profile for the above ABW settings and print through this (Photoshop Manages Colors). This will translate directly from what you see on screen to print.

Thank you fellows for giving me a hand. I am still walking in the darkness but I start to perceive some light through your comments.
    Calibrating, profiles.... :-I
    Have to try !!!

Unless you backlight your prints, they will always look darker.

"Calibrating, profiles.... :-I"

Oh yes, digital imaging is so much easier, and... cheaper !