Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contact Printing Frames

Re: Contact Printing Frames

Kerry,

I think many alt-process printers would like a frame at least 4 inches greater in each dimension than the negative. I like to have nice, larger borders on my pt/pd/gum prints. But, I've got all the frames I need, so I won't be part of your market. The best frame I own is a Great Basin 16"x24". Beautifully crafted with great springs. If I was making new frames, I would model them after this.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    When are these going to be available?
    Soon. Probably in about 2 - 4 weeks in the standard sizes (24x30cm, 30x40cm and 40x50cm). The manufacturer, Argentum, has agreed to make a 25x56cm size for 7x17 and 8x20, and is also interested in making a frame for the 12x20 format (probably 36x56cm). These banquet sizes will take a little longer as the manufacturer doesn't have these sizes in stock and will need to ramp up production - probably about 4 - 6 weeks.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik Kouklis View Post
    Kerry,

I think many alt-process printers would like a frame at least 4 inches greater in each dimension than the negative. I like to have nice, larger borders on my pt/pd/gum prints. But, I've got all the frames I need, so I won't be part of your market. The best frame I own is a Great Basin 16"x24". Beautifully crafted with great springs. If I was making new frames, I would model them after this.
    Kerick,

Thanks for the input. It looks like the frames will be 2" - 4" bigger in each dimension than the negative size - depending on the format.

I don't want them to get too bag, as it adds cost and shipping weight, and takes up more room during use and storage. Plus, I like to keep the Y-dimension as short as possible as it makes it easier for the springs to exert strong, even pressure over the entire negative area. As this dimension grows, this gets harder to accomplish. This shouldn't be a problem in the 25x56cm size for 7x17 and 8x20, as the springs are the same length as the standard 24x30cm nominal size (25x31cm actual size). Nor should it be a problem on the 36x56cm size for 12x20. Where it gets to be a problem in when you get up to 20"x24". For negatives that large, a vacuum frame is really the best solution.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

www.reallybigcameras.com

I now have pricing information on the Argentum Contact Printing Frames:

24x30cm - $219.00
    30x40cm - $249.00
    40x50cm - $299.00

Banquet sizes:

24x55cm for 7x17 and 8x20 - $249.00
    35x55cm for 12x20 - $309.00

These prices do not include shipping - which will be billed at standard domestic rates.

The actual image area of these frames is 1cm larger in each direction than the nominal dimensions.

If you would like to pre-order a frame (no payment due until the frames are ready to ship from the manufacturer), please send an email to sales@reallybigcameras.com and speciy the size you would like to purchase.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

www.reallybigcameras.com

I have confirmed with the manufacturer that the 7x17/8x20 and 12x20 contact printing frames will have three springs and a three-piece back (with two hinges). This will permit making two smaller prints simultaneously and removing one without disturbing the other.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

www.reallybigcameras.com

Really Big Cameras has placed our first order with Argentum for the contact printing frames discussed in this thread. The shipment is expected to arrive in about two weeks and will include a limited quantity of contact printing frames in the following sizes:

24x30cm - $219.00 + shipping
    30x40cm - $249.00 + shipping
    24x55cm for 7x17 and 8x20 - $249.00 + shipping
    35x55cm for 12x20 - $309.00 + shipping

The actual image area of these frames is 1cm larger in each direction than the nominal dimensions.

Initial quantities will be limited. If you'd like to reserve a frame from this shipment, please send an email to: sales@reallybigcameras.com

Please indicate which size(s) you wish to reserve and include your zip code for calculation of the shipping charges.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Cameras View Post
    I'll try to get some pictures of the 24x30cm frame posted in the next day or two. In the mean time, here's a link to a pdf file of the contact printing frames page from the manufacturer's printed catalog.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    Hi, Kerry:

I looked at the PDF, and the frames appear to be well made. Looks like a good product.

I'm curious why Argentum doesn't seem to condone silver printing and conventional light sources!

William

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by William McEwen View Post
    I'm curious why Argentum doesn't seem to condone silver printing and conventional light sources!
    William,

It took me a while to understand what you meant by your comment. I assume you are referring to this statement from the Argentum PDF:

"Argentum contact printing frames ensure adequate and powerful pressure, so they are highly recommended to be used for historical photographic procedures, where contact printing of negatives is done by sunlight or UV light."

They then list a number of alternative processes:

Salted Paper Print,
    Albumen Print,
    Cyanotype,
    Argentotype,
    Platinotype,
    Pigment Print,
    Gum Print,
    Bromoil Process,
    Carbro Process, etc.

These statements are not meant to be exclusionary. They are just examples of processes that are traditionally contact printed. Of course, there is absolutely nothing in the design or construction of the Argentum contact printing frames that would prevent using them for producing prints made on silver-based papers using conventional light sources.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Hi, Kerry:

First of all, it's good to make an online acquaintance with you after reading your stuff in VC over the years.

I should have added a to my message about Argentum not mentioning silver processes. I was being a smart aleck (as usual) and didn't expect such a thoughtful reply!

I don't consider Argentum's omission a slight, but I would like to see them add silver paper + conventional light sources to their list of contact printing frame uses.

All best,

William

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by William McEwen View Post
    Hi, Kerry:

First of all, it's good to make an online acquaintance with you after reading your stuff in VC over the years.

I should have added a to my message about Argentum not mentioning silver processes. I was being a smart aleck (as usual) and didn't expect such a thoughtful reply!

I don't consider Argentum's omission a slight, but I would like to see them add silver paper + conventional light sources to their list of contact printing frame uses.

All best,

William
    William,

No problem. I assumed your comments were made with tongue in cheek.

And, I am happy to report that one customer has confirmed that the Argentum contact printing frames do indeed work with silver papers (Azo) and conventional light sources.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras