Thread: Cambo Wide angle Bellows at what size lens?

Cool Cambo Wide angle Bellows at what size lens?

Hi All,

Im confused about the whole wide angle bellows deal. Does anyone know if there is a threshold for the combination of types of bellows and angles of particular lens.

For example, i have a 150mm lens with normal bellows,
    Im considering a wide angle lens possibly 90 or 65mm and figured that a wide angle bellows are essential for this lenses. am i right?

I already have a shorter 6" rail.

Thanks all in advance

CArl

Re: Cambo Wide angle Bellows at what size lens?

The cambo SC 4 x 5 focuses but has limited movement with standard bellows and a 90mm lens (grandagon N f6.8). If you want reasonable movement potential or want to use wider lenses bag bellows will make your life much easier.

Dave Karp

With both Cambos that I owned (one like the SC, the other a 45SF), I found that I needed the bag bellows to use my 125mm without having the bellows interfere with movements. (I never tried a 135mm). The same is true of my 171 ARCA-Swiss.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Do an experiment: set your camera up with the lens plane and the film plane set 90mm apart (infinity focus with a 90mm lens). You'll see how little movement (virtually none) is possible due to bellow compression. Then try to set your film-plan-to-lens-plane distance at 65mm. You probably won't be able to do it.

In addition to a bag bellows, consider the added inch of film-plane-to-lens-plane distance that you'll gain from also using a recessed lensboard.

Dave Karp

In my experience with a camera like yours, you will need a recessed lensboard plus a bag bellows to work with a 90mm or wider lens.

Let me see: I have a 58XL on a recessed board, a 72XL on a recessed board, with the 75 the same, a 115 on a straight board and a 150 on a recessed board (MT) and use all of them with a bag bellows on the Sinar P2.

For architectural photography this works great.
    Plenty of unrestricted movement, a bag bellows is a must for wide angles and movements.

Peter

I use a 90mm on a flat board with a bag bellows on my Cambo with the tripod mount behind both standards. Works great; shorter than 90mm I use the recessed boards with the bag bellows and the same tripod mount arangement.