Thread: sinar 8x10 metering back in a 8x10 camera

sinar 8x10 metering back in a 8x10 camera

I would like to know if is possible to mount a 8x10 sinar ttl meter back to a field camera like a tachihara . i want to make some closeups and macro shots and the
    ttl metering would be a invaluable option.

Re: sinar 8x10 metering back in a 8x10 camera

Do you have a metering booster? I have found that it's freqeuntly more expensive and difficult to find than a metering back. It's shouldn't be hard to mount a Sinar back to any camera, just a matter of a little bit of machining and/or woodworking.

I don’t think you need the Sinar back to use the meter booster. I have one and while it fits the back of my Sinar extremely well I don’t see why you couldn’t use it on any conventional back. You will need a compatible flash meter like a Minolta Flash Meter IV. Do you need TTL for flash exposure compensation? If you are just trying to compensate for bellows extension then look for a bellows extension gauge, Sinar makes one that I use (they are rare and hard to find) and so does Calumet. The Sinar is a pencil with a gauge (like a ruler) on the body of the pencil and it has a cap like a pen. Basically you remove the cap, place it next to the subject you are photographing and take the gauge around to the ground glass. Simply take the gauge and measure the size of the pencil cap on the ground glass. On the Sinar gauge the exposure compensation needed is given in f/stops and exposure factors.

It sounds complicated but takes all of ten seconds and is very accurate. I have never used it but I understand that the Calumet gauge works in a similar manner (but does not have a built in pencil like the Sinar!) and some people swear buy it. Additionally if you just want a calculator look at the Quick Disc which is a free, downloadable bellows extension calculator.

Hope this helps…

-Joshua

I have a Minolta Booster II and Flashmeter III, and 98% of the time, I calculate the bellows factor based on the magnification factor. I usually estimate the magnification, but I measure it for tabletop work by putting a ruler in the scene and comparing it to the width of the groundglass, and then I have a table taped to the back of the camera to convert magnification to exposure factor. It's easier than measuring off the groundglass, believe it or not.

Sinar makes (made) special metering cassettes which you simply put inside the film cassette compartment. Some of these goes back 40-50 years, as that was the way Sinar started with the meter and probe. I know I saw one recently, possibly on the german *bay or even on the For sale-subforum on this site. (It was a combo with both 5x7" and 8x10" cassettes.)

//Björn

For tabletop work, I use a Quik Stick, made by Visual Departures, not terribly expensive, but worth it's weight in gold.