Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanner comparison: Epson V750 Pro added

Re: Scanner comparison: Epson V750 Pro added

There is some confusion as to the Epson V700/V750 and it's difference to the 4990. One can compare them 'on the glass' at 4800 spi and apparently they are quite close.

The 700/750 scanners however have another, supposedly, hi res system that scans above the glass. I have seen no useful comparisons of wet scans done at the 'right' distance above the glass to either a 4990 or to drum scanners. I say wet scan because all the drum scans are.

As the 'right' distance above the glass varies from machine to machine, mine is sharpest with no feet at all on the stock mounts for instance, the scans will differ quite a lot depending if you hit the focus plane or not.

Just pointing out a few things I have not seen well exposed. The various tests all have their own methods and I'm not sure an amateur machine with a focus plane variation of the hi res system somewhere in the 3mm range is well served by them.

sanking, I'm sorry, but who is arguing that a drum scanner will outperform a desktop flatbed? I've read this thread twice, and I cannot find anything even close to such a statement. It appears that everyone involved here is aware that a drum scanner can and will outperform a desktop flatbed. Whoopie…

What I do see is reference to the fact that the v750/700 is pretty decent for a flatbed (as the results in the link show). I agree, and that's why I own one. As an art student I can barely afford to pay for my sheet film and processing -> I cannot afford to get my chromes drum scanned on a regular basis. My v750 has allowed me to adopt a digital workflow and it has paid for itself twice already. I am quite impressed with it, as are some of the other members here, and I believe that it is a notable scanner. If I need something scanned at the next level, I always have that option at my local service bureau.

Quoting kurthbousman: "Well for the price , the ease , and the availability , the epsons are a good choice..."

I don't think anyone here is stupid or in need of better eyewear (lol). Please. I don't think this thread is about how much ~better~ drum scans can be. I think it's about the fairly impressive quality of the v750.

Personally, I think the fact that you can now produce wet mount scans as high quality as the v750 and other scanners like it are producing, on your desktop, at home, for < $700 is pretty amazing and a great thing.

Just to be clear, neither the 4990 or the V750 has a focusing mechanism. Therefore, if one wants to compare it is necessary to first determine the position of best of focus.

Regardless of the quality of the second lens, it is important to understand that in order to cover a wider angle of coverge there is a lot of compromise. This is true of both high end flatbeds like the Cezanne Elite and Eversmart Supreme. In other words, with a small format negative one might be able to take some advantage of the second lens son the V750, but with LF film that will not happen.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    There is some confusion as to the Epson V700/V750 and it's difference to the 4990. One can compare them 'on the glass' at 4800 spi and apparently they are quite close.

In fact, I was responding to this.

"Paul, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the Epson V700. Even my 4870 gave my drum scans a run for their money. Since it is a CCD rather than PMT capture, the look will be softer initially than the drum scan, but if you handle the file carefully (ie. judicious sharpening), the results are amazing."

Strictly speaking I think it is fair to say that the above message is favorably comparing a scan with a V700 or V750 with a drum scan.

We could quibble about intention, but basically that is how I read it?

I don't have any argument with your conclusion that for the price the Epson flatbeds are good value for the money. I own and use one. But, by any reasonable measure they are not even close to professional flatbeds and drums scans in performance.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    sanking, I'm sorry, but who is arguing that a drum scanner will outperform a desktop flatbed? I've read this thread twice, and I cannot find anything even close to such a statement. It appears that everyone involved here is aware that a drum scanner can and will outperform a desktop flatbed. Whoopie…

What I do see is reference to the fact that the v750/700 is pretty decent for a flatbed (as the results in the link show). I agree, and that's why I own one. As an art student I can barely afford to pay for my sheet film and processing -> I cannot afford to get my chromes drum scanned on a regular basis. My v750 has allowed me to adopt a digital workflow and it has paid for itself twice already. I am quite impressed with it, as are some of the other members here, and I believe that it is a notable scanner. If I need something scanned at the next level, I always have that option at my local service bureau.

Quoting kurthbousman: "Well for the price , the ease , and the availability , the epsons are a good choice..."

I think that it is fully understood that a drum scan can produce a better file in general. I don't think anyone here is stupid or in need of better eyewear. Please.

Personally, I think the fact that you can now produce wet mount scans as high quality as the v750 and other scanners like it are producing, on your desktop, at home, for < $700 is pretty amazing and a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Strictly speaking I think it is fair to say that this message is favorably comparing a scan with a V700 or V7500 with a drum scan.

We could quibble about intention, but basically that is how I read it?
    I see, yes we read it differently. I think the intention was to indicate that the results were amazing for a flatbed, which they kind of are. No need to quibble, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    I see, yes we read it differently. I think the intention was to indicate that the results were amazing for a flatbed, which they kind of are. No need to quibble, cheers.
    FWIW, if one can purchase a 4990 and the BetterScanning variable height wet film mounting station I don't think one would see much difference in the wet scans made with the V700 or V750.

In fact the best way to optimize the IQ of the scans from any of these scanners is to use a variable height holder or experiment with the height of the Epson holders.

Don Bryant

Don,

Excellent point. If anyone wants to get the most out of their Epson flatbed scanner, get the BetterScanning variable height mounting station and use it as per directions. If you do, I seriously doubt that you will see a big difference in image quality between the 4990, V700, and V750. My own tests indicated a slight advantage for the V750, with the *emphasis* on slight.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    FWIW, if one can purchase a 4990 and the BetterScanning variable height wet film mounting station I don't think one would see much difference in the wet scans made with the V700 or V750.

In fact the best way to optimize the IQ of the scans from any of these scanners is to use a variable height holder or experiment with the height of the Epson holders.

Don Bryant

Just to be clear, neither the 4990 or the V750 has a focusing mechanism. Therefore, if one wants to compare it is necessary to first determine the position of best of focus.

Regardless of the quality of the second lens, it is important to understand that in order to cover a wider angle of coverge there is a lot of compromise. This is true of both high end flatbeds like the Cezanne Elite and Eversmart Supreme. In other words, with a small format negative one might be able to take some advantage of the second lens son the V750, but with LF film that will not happen.

Sandy King
    The 'hi res' scan area on an Epson V750/V700 is 5.7" wide. So yes that will happen with 4x5 and 5x7 LF film.

As I said no one seems to have scanned 4x5 with the 'hi res' system and compared wet mount to wet mount.

The argument is pretty simple. If you have a scanner that does not focus it must cover a wider angle, with any given lens, to scan LF film than 35mm and MF film. This will lead to fall off in resolution for the large film size.

Please feel free to test and disprove my remarks if you believe they are in error.

Basically, the only logical reason for the two lenses that I can see is that one was meant to scan a smaller area of film at higher resolution.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    The 'hi res' scan area on an Epson V750/V700 is 5.7" wide. So yes that will happen with 4x5 and 5x7 LF film.

As I said no one seems to have scanned 4x5 with the 'hi res' system and compared wet mount to wet mount.

The argument is pretty simple. If you have a scanner that does not focus it must cover a wider angle, with any given lens, to scan LF film than 35mm and MF film. This will lead to fall off in resolution for the large film size.

Please feel free to test and disprove my remarks if you believe they are in error.

Basically, the only logical reason for the two lenses that I can see is that one was meant to scan a smaller area of film at higher resolution.

Sandy
    All the film mounts for the V750/V700 are aimed at 'above the glass' focus. Only the 8x10 'area guide' is intended for 'on the glass' focus. We have stock 4x5 film holders and the purpose of them is to scan 4x5 film with the 'hi res' lens 'above the glass'.

Logic has nothing to do with it.

There is religion mixed with science here.