Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: digital backup "in the field"

Re: digital backup "in the field"

thanks for all the comments, bruce, please restrain yourself, as frank said: embrace it, you know ansel & edward would have.

streve is right though, i'm going to be stitching 24mp files, 5 shots a take, but bruce is right too, i don't want to be on-line, i'd rather a simple hard disc or card solution.

http://www.adriantyler.net/

Ansel, probably. Edward, not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    thanks for all the comments, bruce, please restrain yourself
    What? Why? I just got off the phone with the photography curator at the local art museum (which will remain nameless to protect the innocent and not start really unfounded rumors). He was quite exited. He says the new building has the perfect wall for me.

What -- a guy can't dream?

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Ansel, probably. Edward, not likely.
    Ansel - very likely, at least according to his own words in The Negative.

Edward - probably if not likely. If he let others do his prints, why not cut the middlemen and shift all the drudgery to the computer? After all, that's what they were invented for...

Edward was dubious of the enlarger. He changed very little about his process during his entire career.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

they obviously had higher standards then you and I they got rich and famous

hard telling what they would have done ... since Ansel was better then Ed I'd say Ansel would have stayed with what worked for him just like the ppl here on this forum why he would no more of bought into that then he would have drank home brewed beer..
    He would have said something like,,, go watch your American Idol show and then go buy your music you mindless sheep your not changing my beautiful art to ones and zeros now be off...Go pay your dues and come up the ranks so your art will last the test of time.. Do you really think you can take center stage,win a contest,get a record deal and last or even compare to the big boys..? Never!
    America has become a place of trends and if your not in the "trend" your not with it.. It took Ansel a lifetime to perfect his craft why change perfection
    Last edited by Steve M Hostetter; 5-Feb-2009 at 07:07.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    A large iPod and an adapter cable. Don't forget chargers for both the iPod and the camera. Or use film ;-).
    I actually did this in Europe...and it worked well. Used an 80 GB classic iPod with a photo connector. It takes time downloading the images, but I figured I'd have to charge the iPod and the camera batteries anyway. I didn't want to carry around any other "stuff"...but then I wasn't shooting to document the Sistine Chapel, either so the images weren't huge.

The hyperdrive color space and epson P-X000 systems are both well regarded for this purpose but they're both pricey. The epsons used to cost nearly as much as a laptop.

What I think I'd like though is a duplication method that would just let me copy from one card to another. The little flash cards are pretty reliable, small and light and these days cheap. When cards were $100/GB then the little HD backups were a good investment.

I also have an 80GB ipod. Any suggestions for photo connectors that work well?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    what are the best methods for backing up digital files when you are out working, preferably without lugging a portable computer?

thanks
    I currently use the Hyperdrive HD80, the older model with a 120gig drive. Depending on the card, it'll dl about 1gig/min, which is considerably faster than my laptop.

The latest Hyperdrive will dl twice as fast with UDMA cards and has a 3in color screen and reads RAW files. It's very portable and designed to with user upgradeable/replaceble parts.