Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
La jetée.
Yes! Thank-you, an important film, studied by just about every film student at one time, that I think pre-figured recent developments.

Donald Miller, I'd love to see it. Do you have any of it up on Vimeo or YouTube or elsewhere?

Allen from Montreal,

If you're up for it, I'll get in touch with you on my way to the Rock.

Re comments about language and this being an "American site":

M. Cartier-Bresson's statement has been the subect of a good deal of interpretation, arising from the fact that it is fairly ambiguous. That being the case, there is something to be said for going back to the original statement in the original language, rather than repeating the usual gloss in translation, especially recognizing that this sentence has been translated into many languages, English being only one of them.

Here is what I said, which somehow has caused consternation:

" Il n'y a rien dans ce monde qui n'ait un moment desicif.

"If you don't happen to speak French, take a moment to do a search on that sentence by plugging it into Google."

The effect of that is to provide the original French and to provide a way to get an immediate translation in English, and maybe more than one, and for that matter other languages, including languages spoken by participants in this site whose first language is neither French nor English. How do I know that? Because I confirmed it before I wrote the post. It is, after all, a pretty famous sentence.

Beyond that, I would like to say that I don't accept the idea that this is an "American site" where it is some kind of crime to quote Cartier-Bresson in the original. And while I may be in a minority in the general views that I have expressed in this thread, I would like to think that there is a reasonable amount of support, in the US as well as elsewhere, for what I am saying about this particular issue. Indeed, I'm pretty surprised that it became an issue. If I am wrong in my assumption that everyone here knows how to copy a sentence and plug it into Google for a search, please let me know. If I am right in my assumption, I am stunned that I am being attacked, indeed have been labelled "an arrogant bastard", for posting the above two sentences.

Re the criticism that I have not offered up my work on my current project for evaluation on this site, well, I think that my point was that I am working in 35mm and 6x7, and that the issue for me, on this project, is whether I am going to expand to 4x5. As I understand it, I am not supposed to post 35mm and 6x7 photographs on this site, which is why I haven't done it.

Cheers