Thread: color gamut of epson archival inks?

color gamut of epson archival inks?

hello! i'm thinking of buying the new Epson 5500, which uses the Epson archival inks. i've heard that these inks have a reduced color gamut compared to the dye-based inks, and i wonder if anyone knows if Epson is working on more pure pigment-based inks that will have the ful l gamut of the dye-based inks? seems like something they'd be doing to compete with the 3rd-party companies like media street who are producing wide-gamut pigm ented inks. I do a lot of shooting at night and my colors are outrageously satu rated (pure cobalt blues and violets) so I need the full gamut, but i want long- lasting prints too. Thoughts?

~cj

[www.chrisjordanphoto.com]

color gamut of epson archival inks?

According to Epson...their new generation of pigmented inks are formulated so that each inkdrop is now encapsulated in a resin-like bubble, which helps in two ways...first...the inks are now suposedly waterproof. Second...this resin bubble aids in achieving a more uniform reflectance of light, whereas...before...pigment chips were laid down on the paper in a random, scattered fashion, scattering reflected light in an uneven fashion and reducing the color gamut.

I have seen samples of the new Epson pigmented inks and agree that they are much improved, but still...to my eye, dye-based inks provide more saturation and pop.