Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my experiance w/ f64 backpack

joseph

Re: my experiance w/ f64 backpack

I'm just starting in 8x10, and I think the weight of the darkslides will be the killer in any quantity-
    I'm going for a rolling case first, although I know that doesn't answer your question about backpacking...

j

Big Bend

Hey Steve,
    I bought an 8x10 F64 backpack here on this site for a rediculously low price because the strap was broken at the bottom. Sounds like it might be a recurring problem.

However, I repaired it myself. I went to the local sewing shop and got the strongest nylon thread I could find and stitched it by hand. I bet the other side breaks before the repaired side does.

I like the glass on my lenses to be in pristine condition, the rest of this stuff is going to take a beating one way or another

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Hey Joe,, yeah that strap is sewn into the seam and when the seam goes then so does the strap.. When I have mine sewn I'll have him beaf up the other side too..!

Thanks to everyone for responding ! feel free to keep commenting cause I like to hear what all you guys are using ..

Sorry everyone for the sidetracked thread. Steve and I have resolved our disagreement. (Besides 8x10 users must stick together.)

Back to the original point of the thread, f64 Bags were brand new. The store I worked at bought some because we loved the design. But we had a lot of problems with the straps just as mentioned here. It is disappointing that this design/manufacturing flaw seems to still be present. The company was great in replacing the bags, but I never was confident that it wouldn't come apart on the trail so I never bought one.

You could take it to someone to sew up the straps-maybe doing both top and bottom attachments to make sure that they are secure.

For those looking for an alternative, I bought an Osprey Meridian 28" pack. It is a wheeled convertible pack so it weighs a little more than a regular pack (around 9 lbs), but it packs much lighter than most, holds my 8x10, as many lenses (in Photobackpacker cases) as I would want to carry, 10 film holders and still have room for food.

The nice thing about this case is the removable day pack. I can go to a base area, take out the camera, lens and remove the day pack leave the big case behind and walk around with the camera set up, 3 or so film holders, light meter, etc and not be so burdened by the full kit.

It also is wheeled to take me through airports easily. And the wheels are some of the best I've ever seen on a backpack. The case is expensive, but compared to the equipment I put in the case, and the special way the case works makes it a great value for me.

John

thank you John

I'd be interested in knowing the outcome of your efforts to get help from the f64 people. I have an f64 8x10 pack and somehow lost one of the chest straps. I sent a couple emails to f64, may even have called and left word, trying to get a replacement and never received a response.

P.S. My apologies for any inappropriate phrasing and please, let's not have any related dust-ups. : - )
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

You may want to try a home remedy using a tapestry needle and dental floss; if reinforcement is necessary a piece of 1" flat webbing can be purchased for a few cents. Waxed cord and a Speeder Stitcher will also do the trick. Frayed nylon material can and should be refinished with a (lighter) flame (in a well ventilated area). A more elegant remedy may be found down the street.

Many here seem to like the f64 products. Perhaps the overall designs are nice but from what I've seen the materials and construction are second rate.

I think as bags go they are well made when you consider the self healing zippers never fail .. Ever since my cousin said I look like one of those guys that explored the moon I never use the side compartments..
    I do think the overall construction could be heavier to accomidate such a demanding size format.. The film holders take there toll and thats where the breakage happens.

I will also say that the rain flap saved my equipment in a downpoor once

Shoe repair shops have the heavier duty sewing machines suitable for thick material like webbing.