Thread: Advice for equipement and portrait

Advice for equipement and portrait

hello

im new on this forum i m looking for advice for a nice and not to heavy equipement for portrait and genrally people photography in 4X5

what do you think about TOYO 45 CF but for the lens i have no idea i will used the lens for BW pictures and also Slides films

thank you very much

Re: Advice for equipement and portrait

I like an old fashion Speed or Crown Graphic for portrait work, but that's just me. http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers...raiture.html#5
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Scott Davis

Fotograf-

Take this for what it is worth, one person's opinion: I looked at the Toyo 45CF and felt that it was too light. It seemed very cheaply made and true or not it felt like it would break easily. To save weight, Toyo did some design features that are not intuitive and make the camera hard to set up and take down. It is also limited with its bellows, so that it may be hard to use some portrait length lenses. Depending on your budget, I would recommend, in order of price from lowest to highest:

1- Shen Hao HZX-45 AT II
    2- Chamonix 4x5
    3- Canham DLC 45

The Chamonix and Canham have longer bellows than the Shen, and weigh less. The Canham has the longest bellows. The Shen Hao probably has the most movements of the three, with the Canham a close second if not a tie, but if you are doing portrait work, movements are not important.

If you are thinking of shooting slides, I would recommend a lens in a modern shutter which is more accurate. A popular lens for 4x5 that can be used for portrait work is just about anything in a 210mm focal length. Schneider, Rodenstock, Fuji and Nikon are all good brands, and the major brand makers have also done house-label lenses for Calumet, Sinar and Linhof which are equally as good as their own label lenses.

I think the new Shen Hao PTB 54, would be interesting, it's lighter than the Shen Hao HZX 45 IIA and has longer bellows, wich can deal with a 390mm lens. The rear focusing system is also very convenient for any style of photography.
    As to the lens, I'm with Scott, the 210mm is very good for general portrait.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...2336&PT_ID=437