Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kodak Pan X Aerial Roll Film Available

Re: New Kodak Pan X Aerial Roll Film Available

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Folks,

I’ve been talking to Jim Galli, a Kodak dealer, ........

Cheers,

Steve
    Let me set the record straight, I am not the Kodak dealer in that sentence.

Another point; I've never had any luck using this in 4X5. The 5 is correct and it's easy enough to cut, not so easy to load, but do-able, but the problem is in the developing. It's too small to hold itself in any of my jobo tanks, both 2500 and 3000 series. Nor will it go in the old Kodak stainless holders. It's a pita. 5X7 works perfect in the JOBO.

I've been getting dated, well frozen kodak aerial film from MR FOTO. It's really inexpensive IIRC and good stuff! If you want the current product, your best bet might be to contact an aerial outfit that still uses film. Kodak requires (or used to) huge (and expensive) periodic orders of the stuff. If they have any extra they might give you a break on the price (Kodak sure won't!)

If you want a processor for roll film (it adjusts from 70mm to 9-1/2") I've got an extra one you can have for free---just bring a truck and a pallet jack to pick it up
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have read this thread as well as on APUG. Is this the Panatomic 2412 or 3412. I would very likely be interested in some 8x10 sheets. Assuming the resolution of this film is much better than say TmAx1oo. From the data sheet this would seem to be that case.

Cutting down the 9.5" roll to 8" would seem to be reasonable if one has some fixtures to hold the film spool, a take up reel and a cutter set at 8". It's to bad the 32mm left is not much use.

Is Polaroid 55 close enough to this film that one could get an idea of how it performs?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

2412. Yes, but if you're going to compare it, i would remove a Type 55 sheet and expose it in a regular film holder and process it in the soup of your choice just so you're making things as close as possible.

That said, there's been almost no interest in the 9-1/2" rolls (except you and me).

I don't think there's enough momentum to make it go.

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. I will try the 55 as you suggest. If it turns out well I am going to give this project some thought. The day before your post I was looking at this same film on the Kodak site, drooling over the thoughts of having some. If it were available in 50 or 100 box sheets I wonder what the interest would be then.

Best Regards,

Tim

Talking Re: New Kodak Pan X Aerial Roll Film Available

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Povlick View Post
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. I will try the 55 as you suggest. If it turns out well I am going to give this project some thought. The day before your post I was looking at this same film on the Kodak site, drooling over the thoughts of having some. If it were available in 50 or 100 box sheets I wonder what the interest would be then.

Best Regards,

Tim
    Tim,

Boxed, you might make it go, but it would be a labor of love and a long time coming.

10 rolls of the 5" stuff would be $7,670.00 and yield 15,000 4x5 sheets. How long would it take to recoup the investment selling on the forum? Now, you also have to have light tight bags (not really a problem) and ideally triple boxes (a problem), and the time to cut the film.

So, if you want to do it, I'll buy it from you!!

Cheers,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Tim,

2412. Yes, but if you're going to compare it, i would remove a Type 55 sheet and expose it in a regular film holder and process it in the soup of your choice just so you're making things as close as possible.

That said, there's been almost no interest in the 9-1/2" rolls (except you and me).

I don't think there's enough momentum to make it go.

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers,

Steve
    Hello Steve,

You probably are right. I have some interest, but I still have 4 100' rolls of Adox/Efke R100 10" in the freezer. I am conflicted. Who (really) knows how long this Kodak film will be available? On the other hand, it is quite an investment to have sitting in the freezer. AgX posted on APUG that the minimum order for the 9.5" roll was only a single roll. Is that in fact correct?

Cheers,
    Clarence

All,

If Kodak still makes the film (and they reportedly still do, they could just as easily (probably) run a master roll for the annual LF/ULF film order. Anyone interested in this?

Cheers,

Steve

Talking Re: New Kodak Pan X Aerial Roll Film Available

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Rhymer View Post
    Hello Steve,

You probably are right. I have some interest, but I still have 4 100' rolls of Adox/Efke R100 10" in the freezer. I am conflicted. Who (really) knows how long this Kodak film will be available? On the other hand, it is quite an investment to have sitting in the freezer. AgX posted on APUG that the minimum order for the 9.5" roll was only a single roll. Is that in fact correct?

Cheers,
    Clarence
    Clarence,

I have an inquiry in (even before you posted) on the 9.5" minimum. Keep the interest up, maybe we can do something good.

It would be nice to have some help from the Great Yellow Father. Hello, are you listening??

Cheers,

Steve

There is a but of confusion here. If Kodak lists the 5" and the 9.5" films as "stock" items then a "true" Kodak dealer can order one. If it is a "special order" item then there is a minimum. There must be some dealers that stock this for the aerial photography market (however small), if it is currently used. Kodak has changed the way it serves dealers in the last couple of years, appointing a few dealer/distributors nationwide, who then serve the small retailers. Once such dealer/distributor is Unique Photo. It might pay to check with them, since they can officially order direct from Kodak, and they do so every week.