Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenswork Folios

Clay

Re: Lenswork Folios

If you are thinking about a panoramic format, possibly a 7x14 would be of interest. It is a 11x14 piece of paper divided in half, which can conveniently contain a 5x12 with 1 inch borders or a 4x10 on the same sheet of paper with generous margins. As you point out, anything large becomes problematic in terms of both the paper stock and the basic portability of the folio. I have always felt that folio approach toward presenting prints is better confined to smaller prints meant to be handheld for viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Folio Update

Another thought would be a size larger than the 11x14. I have done some quick sketching and a 16x20 gets to be problematic due to the cover stock size. Is there a size in between that would make sense? Let me know what you think. Thanks. Jim

13x15 would be perfect for me and I suspect many others mounting with the Paula Chamlee "standard" size.

14x17 or 14x18

...is my vote in order of preference.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Something to accomodate 13x19" inkjet paper would be another thought. Might run into the same problems as with the 16x20, though.
    Mike Sebastian
    website | blog

One of my thoughts is to make sure that whatever size gets made, it must be useable to both analog and digital printers. So, if I remember correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong), paper sizes for enlarging are standardized around either 11x14 or 16x20. With digital printing, paper sizes are easily found in 11x14, 11x17, 13x19,
    16x20(sometimes), and 17x22. So the idea would be to find a common dimension. Clay mentioned something in the neighborhood of 7X14. My initial thought had been something either 16 or 17 inches wide. (Oh, and I'm thinking panoramic at this point). Cutting 16x20 down to two useable pieces is possibility. I shoot 4X10 so I was thinking something like a 14x6 would look good on a 16x8 piece of paper. Just throwing these ideas out.

Going to a larger size like 14x17 is certainly possible for another larger size up from 11x14. According to my calcualtions, it will work on the stock available. I don't know how this size fits in with most people. Clay mentions portability, and that is a very good point. Just throwing something out there. Anyway, if you have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, let's hear them. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    ...be OK if I tried to "sell" some of these to members of this forum so that it might be possible to get an order together... do any of you have any interest in going in on something like this... I would lke to see if a minimum of 25 or 50 folios per "order."
    Jim, I don't understand what you are asking: Are you asking whether we would interested in buying your folio or, instead, taking part in the print run with our own photos? If the latter, how would this work?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mdd99 View Post
    Jim, I don't understand what you are asking: Are you asking whether we would interested in buying your folio or, instead, taking part in the print run with our own photos? If the latter, how would this work?
    Mike,

This is for the folio covers. I am putting together a production run of the two sizes noted - 8x10 and 11x14. You would put your own photos/prints in the folios. Each folio is designed to be 1/2" in depth so they will hold anywhere from 10 up to maybe 30 prints depending on the thickness of the paper and if you decide to put in piece of backing (like mat board or foam core). I hope this answers your question. I supply the folio covers and you put your own images in them for your own use, sales, etc.

Jim

Hi Jim, can you tell me if the folder is acid-free?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Hi Jim, can you tell me if the folder is acid-free?

Jon

Jon,

Yes, the folio is both lignin and acid free. It's something I failed to mention. Thanks. Jim

OK,

Cover stock gets delivered this week and production starts the next week. As a result, I will be sending an email or pm to everyone who ordered the folios. I would like to start receiving payments at this time. I want to assure everyone that if the product does not meet my standards, I will not ship them and I will refund your money. ( I don't expect this to happen, but I want to assure you anyway.) I've already paid for the cover stock and will have to pay for the folios upon completion.

I would like to get everyone's address and phone number along with payment. That way I can immediately start the shipping process. I've done my best to estimate shipping costs based on the weight and size that I expect the package to be. I will take your payment in whatever form you feel comfortable - paypal, check, money order. Probably, the easiest is paypal (assuming you have an account.) If you would like to use paypal, all I ask is that you include a couple of bucks so I don't absorb all the fees.

I am very excited about this project. I've already been putting together a few projects that will find their way into the folios immediately.

I would like to get everyone's order out asap, as I had delayed a trip west until this project was finished. And I'll be heading west as soon as possible whenever shipping is completed.

Thanks to everyone who placed orders. Give me a few days to email or pm everyone as there are quite a few of you. Again, thanks. Jim Becia
    Last edited by Jim Becia; 22-Feb-2009 at 13:41. Reason: can't type.