Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new tripod

Time for a new tripod

I've searched and read many of the threads here regarding tripods, but it's always nice to get current opinions and plus I have a few specific questions.

For over 20yrs I've only used the Bogen 3021(and 3221.) It's served me well, although it's on it's last legs... so to speak. The lever locks have always needed tightening, I've lost and had to replace the nuts and now the legs are quite sticky and I'm just ready for a new tripod. I've had various cameras on top including the Wista, Zone VI and now I have the Chamonix 4x5 (love this camera!) The head is a Bogen 3047 3-way, which is a beast, but I never liked working the 4x5 with a ball head and I like working with the 3-way pan/tilt.

The primary considerations are:

- Height. I'm 6'4" and I need the extra height to minimize having to use the center column. But I do want a center column.
    - I've got about a $300 budget
    - Leg locks - flip/lever locks or twist lock. I'm open, but have a question below.
    - weight. The combo of my current setup is probably over 10lbs and I'd like to get that down. I know the head is heavy, but maybe that's for next years budget. I generally work pretty close to the car, but do a fair share of trekking thru the woods, trails, etc. and lightening the load on the shoulder would be nice.

For now, I'm looking at the Velbon El Carmagne 630A and the Feisol CT-3301 or sitting on the outside of my budget with the center column, the CT-3342.

I've never heard anything bad about the Feisol, but I have a question. According to the info on Kerry's Reallybigcameras site, there isn't a locking mechanism for the twist locks. For those who have a Feisol, what is your opinion on operating the twist locks? ease of use, quickness to set up, etc. Also, I thought I read that they're so finely machined that air gets locked and it takes a moment or two for the air pressure to equalize in the tubes when you're extending the legs. Is this a problem or annoyance?

Any opinions on the Velbon listed?

Sorry for the lengthy post, just weighing my options. I appreciate your opinions.

Lon Overacker
    Last edited by Lon Overacker; 18-Jan-2009 at 21:38. Reason: typo

Re: Time for a new tripod

The Feisol legs have twist locks that work well.

I bought one from Kerry. Feel free to email him. He provides great service. I bought one as a lightweight alternative to my Berlebach and I am very happy with it. I use it with an Arca 4x5 . I do find the model numbers annoying. I have the "Tournament" size tripod that I think is the smallest that is appropriate for 4x5.

Lachlan 717

I'm a bit like you - 6'3" with a distain for bending over...

As such, I purchased a Feisol CT-3342 from Kerry.

I cannot rate this tripod (and Kerry's pre and post sales service) highly enough!!

As for your specific questions, the twist locks act as any other lock in that they use friction to support weight. Any tripod that I have seen will only support as much weight as the amount of friction on the lock has (hope that this makes sense). It should easily handle the 10lbs weight.

Never experienced the air lock thing.

I find that, with a 'frotto 488RC2 ball head on the Feisol, I don't need much (if any) centre column extension to shoot at eye level. I would think that you could probably get away with not having the centre column for the time being if its cost is a consideration.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Lachlan.

I've been using the Induro A313 - aluminum alloy, not cf, for my Chamonix 8x10. The one problem I see is that the center column has a bit of a gap and can rotate l-r by about 1-2 degrees. A problem in big wind. Also - in a fierce wind, the cham 8x10 tipped the inuduro a bit, not quite over. This tells me that cf is not the way to go if you shoot in wind. My induro was about $160. Personally I don't buy the cf upgrade for 4x5 or 8x10. I think you get a better, stable tripod from Induro or others for well under $200.
    Craig McCormick
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by mccormickstudio View Post
    Also - in a fierce wind, the cham 8x10 tipped the inuduro a bit, not quite over. This tells me that cf is not the way to go if you shoot in wind.
    My Feisol came with a screw-on hook. I have a occy/bungy cord that I attach to the 'pod on one end and my bag on the other.

Like giving up Kranskies - wind problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Overacker View Post
    I've searched and read many of the threads here regarding tripods, but it's always nice to get current opinions and plus I have a few specific questions.

For over 20yrs I've only used the Bogen 3021(and 3221.) It's served me well, although it's on it's last legs... so to speak. The lever locks have always needed tightening, I've lost and had to replace the nuts and now the legs are quite sticky and I'm just ready for a new tripod. I've had various cameras on top including the Wista, Zone VI and now I have the Chamonix 4x5 (love this camera!) The head is a Bogen 3047 3-way, which is a beast, but I never liked working the 4x5 with a ball head and I like working with the 3-way pan/tilt.

The primary considerations are:

- Height. I'm 6'4" and I need the extra height to minimize having to use the center column. But I do want a center column.
    - I've got about a $300 budget
    - Leg locks - flip/lever locks or twist lock. I'm open, but have a question below.
    - weight. The combo of my current setup is probably over 10lbs and I'd like to get that down. I know the head is heavy, but maybe that's for next years budget. I generally work pretty close to the car, but do a fair share of trekking thru the woods, trails, etc. and lightening the load on the shoulder would be nice.

For now, I'm looking at the Velbon El Carmagne 630A and the Feisol CT-3301 or sitting on the outside of my budget with the center column, the CT-3342.

I've never heard anything bad about the Feisol, but I have a question. According to the info on Kerry's Reallybigcameras site, there isn't a locking mechanism for the twist locks. For those who have a Feisol, what is your opinion on operating the twist locks? ease of use, quickness to set up, etc. Also, I thought I read that they're so finely machined that air gets locked and it takes a moment or two for the air pressure to equalize in the tubes when you're extending the legs. Is this a problem or annoyance?

Any opinions on the Velbon listed?

Sorry for the lengthy post, just weighing my options. I appreciate your opinions.

Lon Overacker

Lon,

Obviously, you have looked into the Feisols. I would contact Kerry directly. Having shot along side Kerry, I remember that he is pushing 6'4" or close to it. So his insight might be very helpful. On top of that, Kerry has and is always helpful whenever I've asked him questions. Good luck in your search. Jim

I have a Feisol (the model I have would be too short for you). I like the twisting locks. They're much smoother and easier on the hands than the locks on my Gitzo 1325 and they work fine. I also have the Bogen 3221 and the 3047 head that you've been using. If you end up with a Feisol and a lighter head you're going to be in for a real treat on hikes, my Feisol and Really Right Stuff head are about half the weight of the Bogen setup.

Like others, I've been very happy with Feisol's post-sales service. One of the end caps from a leg fell off at some point and was lost. I contacted Kerry and in a few days I had a box from Taiwan sent by registered mail with a bunch of extra caps in it. No charge for caps, no charge for shipping.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks for the responses. I have contacted Kerry and he's already responded.

Looks like a Feisol is in my future... :-)

Lon

Michael E. Gordon

Hi Lon: I'm 6'1", and the CT-3342 is working great for me. I love its featherweight. I don't really have any criticisms of this legset (the twistlocks work great and are solid), but do think that the weakest point is where each leg joins the "main body" (Feisol's terminology). You wouldn't want to jerk or slam the legs shut. I've had cast aluminum parts fail on Bogen 'pods, and I would expect the same to happen with the Feisol with overabuse. Otherwise, for the value and weight, it's an excellent tripod. Fear not.

I'm another fan of the Feisol, I have a CT-3372, a great piece of kit. My only complaint is the spikes, which frankly, aren't spikes at all! The splikes for the CT-3342 look a little more spikey. The answer for me was to replace the Feisol bolt/spikes with Gitzo long spikes, I got a tread adapter made by a local man with a lathe.