Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo supplies in Mexico???

Re: Photo supplies in Mexico???

Don,

No info on film supplies, but I wanted to say that Merida is a great city. We loved the local mayan cuisine in the region, and Merida is nice and modern (they even had a Costco if I remember correctly.)

We spent 2 weeks in the Yucatan, starting in on the east coast and ending in Merida. The local people were very friendly, and the ruin sites were amazing to photograph.

Good luck with the move!

Thanks for the comments on the region and people. Everything tells me that the people are fantastic and the city and area are equally great.

My wife and I are going down for a few weeks this summer and staying with friends. Our friends restore old historic colonials and live in one. We want to start looking at some of these restored colonials in the central city and thoroughly check out the area. There's a lot to be done before making such a move and probably won't actually do it for a couple of years. We have to do a couple of things to our house here in the states and hold off selling it until the market picks up some. We live in a very desirable neighborhood and homes are selling but prices aren't up to what we would get in a year or two. I'm not quite psychologically prepared for a big hit on my house. Prices of homes are quite reasonable in Merida compared to here and see them dropping in price every time I look at the realty sites. I don't think there's going to be a rush on homes in Mexico for a few years. Anyway, there's so much to do in preparation for such a move and a much to think about and plan. I have been in my the town where I live for fifty seven years and haven't made but one major move when I closed my 6000 sqft studio and moved it and my home the same week. That's nuts!!! I'm sixty years old and am not in a major rush and want to do things right to keep the headaches to a minimum.

Thanks for everyones help.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    suspect oil paint and supplies would be very easy to locate.
    Don't be so sure. The Mexican made oils--I can't remember the brand--my wife bought were awful, and the imported ones were very expensive. We also have a very hard time finding any media other than linseed oil. So, if you wife is as obsessive as mine about her oils and media (almost as much as a photographer is about their film and paper...), you may need to either dish out for imported or bring them in with you.

My wife and I are very obsessive about out supplies. She's very particular about brushes, paint and media but we'll be back in the states every year at least once or twice and can ship supplies to ourselves plus I have two brothers back here and my wife has a sister in law that's a full time painter that can ship to us. It might be a little less convenient but it can be done.

Do you have a name or two for art supplies in Mexico.

I assume you live in Mexico??

Thanks