Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving between mode's question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Moving between mode's question

I am frequently moving between RGB >LAB>RGB,
    I am pretty confident with my moves and as such have been flattening each layer as I move through an image.
    Lately I have been expanding my moves/adjustments and my confidence level is sometimes challenged . Is there a way of keeping a history between moves/adjustments that you can go back to beginning moves/adjustments and slightly modify or alter.
    Is it just a matter of not flattening when you move between modes and keep your layers intact?

Re: Moving between mode's question

Why are you doing all the mode conversions?

You could make snapshots, expand your History\undo steps or make duplicates.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanm View Post
    Why are you doing all the mode conversions?

You could make snapshots, expand your History\undo steps or make duplicates.

Specific reasons for mode changes that I have found to clearly improve images that I am working with, but I am asking specifically how can I keep a single history active, to go back to early steps , lets say in RGB after I have moved to LAB?
    If I do all my work in one mode I see no problem adjusting moves, but to date I have not been able to do this working in multiple modes. To date I will go back to specific adjustments that have been saved and then move forward from this point.

I have been saving working duplicate files as I go along an image, but maybe I am too thick to see how to keep one full history active that includes moves into LAB and even CMYK with the ability to go into specific layers and make adjustments that then affect the whole file.

Would keeping RGB duplicates, LAB duplicates and even CMYK duplicates on record and then making adjustment corrections in the specific layer I want to change, then putting them on top of each other and re flattening to make a adjusted print file work??

The short answer is no, it's not possible to go back in history after you change color modes. Multiple documents would be the only way to do it. I can't say for certain without seeing what you're doing exactly, but in my opinion it sounds like an inefficient process. Usually there are means to do what you want to do within a single color space. But like I said, it's difficult to say without seeing your workflow in action.

Wouldn't it be better to move your LAB to Rio Rancho? (LOL)

Ralph

I would love to, very cold up here right now. But it would be one hell of a move.
    I may be passing by your area this year so we should get together , hope your well.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to move your LAB to Rio Rancho? (LOL)

Thanks for your input, but I really like my workflow , but this seems to be a snag that I would like to solve.
    Regarding single workspace, I find RGB>LAB>RGB> printer a very effective and efficient workflow for my work. I cannot imagine working in a single mode and getting the results on paper that I am seeing.
    But I am sure everyone has their preferred method of working , with PS and Lightroom the variables are tremendous and daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanm View Post
    The short answer is no, it's not possible to go back in history after you change color modes. Multiple documents would be the only way to do it. I can't say for certain without seeing what you're doing exactly, but in my opinion it sounds like an inefficient process. Usually there are means to do what you want to do within a single color space. But like I said, it's difficult to say without seeing your workflow in action.

Have you tried using something like the Curvemeister plug-in which allows you to make adjustments in LAB and other colour spaces whilst remaining in RGB? I've not used it myself but have seen it recommended by many others. Whether it will allow you to retain the full history I don't know but there is a demo version on their site (http://www.curvemeister.com) so it should be easy to find out.

David Whistance

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I am frequently moving between RGB >LAB>RGB,
    I am pretty confident with my moves and as such have been flattening each layer as I move through an image.
    Lately I have been expanding my moves/adjustments and my confidence level is sometimes challenged . Is there a way of keeping a history between moves/adjustments that you can go back to beginning moves/adjustments and slightly modify or alter.
    Is it just a matter of not flattening when you move between modes and keep your layers intact?
    Lab is intended for quick & dirty changes to an image, namely in Margulis' thinking where you have a short amount of time to work on an image and knock it into shape before moving onto the next. Most of what you're trying to achieve with Lab can be done more elegantly with Lobster. This stays in the same colour space throughout so you'll retain the layer stack, history etc.

I did a brief write-up on Lobster 2.0 with some info to get people started:

http://www.macquarieeditions.com.au/?p=88