Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of High Quality and Speed scanner for 12"x12" or larger

In search of High Quality and Speed scanner for 12"x12" or larger

We are looking for a fast (maybe 20 sec or less?) large format scanner that can scan in scrapbook pages (12"x12") or larger and produce high quality results.

We currently have a pair of Microtek M1's and they will only scan images 8.5"x14". Currently, we scan a 12"x12" in 2 parts then stitch them together. Between the many minutes per scan and the time it takes to stitch, it is not cost effective for clients.

Our Canon Imagerunner C5180i scanner/copier/printer can produce good archival results and it is fast (scanner and light take 1-2 seconds to scan the plate). The max resolution is 600dpi which is fine since we are talking about prints not negatives. The drawback of this is its max size is A3 (11.7"x16.5").

Re: In search of High Quality and Speed scanner for 12"x12" or larger

Would your customers really miss 0.3"? Looking at the Epson scanners, 11.7" is the max. in that product line. I'm betting that 11.7" is an industry standard maximum page width unless you are willing to spend some serious money.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

From time to time the 0.3" is important unfortunately. What expensive scanners are we talking about here?

OK, you may be in luck hardware wise. Cost wise, hold onto your wallet. You could offset the cost by offering high quality scans to the members of this forum.

Kodak iQsmart1 Scanner:

The iQsmart scanner family has a true optical resolution of up to 5,500 dpi from edge to edge. Exclusive XY Stitch scanning technology ensures consistent sharpness and resolution regardless of the original's size or where it is placed on the scanning bed. The inverted CCD, an innovative downward-facing CCD, dramatically improves scanning performance by preventing fine dust particles from settling on the CCD surface.

The iQsmart scanner is fast, delivering production-quality scans at a rate of as fast as 85 scans an hour (benchmark: 6 x 7 cm, 250 percent at 300 dpi in Productive Group Scan mode), and allowing you to scan up to 96 35mm slides in one job. Its large scanning bed can accommodate up to ten A4-size films simultaneously or one A3-size film.

High resolution: as high as 10,000 dpi (5,500 dpi optical)
    Scan any original type: negative and positive film, reflective photos, and other originals up to a3+/12 x 18 in. (13 x 18 in. For reflective)
    Spectacular, pure 16-bit color
    SOOM (scan once, output many) workflow saves time and preserves scan quality for re-use
    XY stitch scanning technology delivers consistent resolution and sharpness for any size original
    Inverted CCD provides clean, sharp scans, increasing productivity and reducing retouching time
    Oxygen scanning application
    Color depth productivity: as fast as 85 scans per hour
    Creates digital transparency archives
    Assuming that silly 0.3" is only critical in about 1% of the scans, just stitch those together.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Hi, I recommend an Epson. In fact, the scan size is larger than 12 inches on the 10000xl or 1640xl.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Somewhat less of a heart attack price-wise than an iQsmart is the Epson 10000XL, which comes in a "Graphic Arts" version that leaves out the transparency unit for a lower price: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=47915743
    $2500 from Epson. Probably cheaper elsewhere.
    "The Epson Expression 10000XL scans virtually anything, including reflective media up to 12.2" x 17.2". "
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Ok. I just looked at the Epson 10000XL spec sheet from their site and I see "Speeds through an 8.5" x 11" color image at 300 dpi in under 23 seconds". Does anyone have one of these to give realistic times instead of lab tests?

That's curious. The 10000XL didn't show up at Epson USA yesterday. It shows up today. Sorry I missed it.

There is another thread running now about scanning 11x14 film. I think Jeremy Moore said that he works with 2 of the 10000 models. Try getting in touch with him.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Instead of a flatbed, you could consider a digital copy set-up. As a bonus, there would be less chance of damage to more delicate scrapbook work.

If the object is original size reproduction, it could be done fairly cheap. You might need to do a little post to correct lens aberrations if you use SLR equipment, but the post could be entirely automated using something like panotools.

It looks like the front runners at the moment are the Epson 10000XL and the Kodak iQsmart2. (Eliminated the Microtek 1000XL since they are no longer selling in North America, and the Plustek OpticPro A360 since the quailty is bad although it is fast)

I found a review of the 10000xl scanner and it said a A3 scan @ 600dpi took 173 seconds. Now I just need to find real speeds for the iQsmart2.