Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prague, Czech Republic

Prague, Czech Republic

Hi,

I am scheduled to travel to Prague and the Czech Republic in April. Does anyone know of any books, newsletters re photography there?

Thanks,
    Jackie

Re: Prague, Czech Republic

Jackie,

You deserve some kind of an answer, even if mine is not terribly useful.

I traveled to Prague in ‘98 and found it easy to negotiate with a Fuji MF rangefinder and a 35mm SLR with 24, 35 & 85mm lenses. There would have been plenty of opportunities for using a longer lens (on the order of 200), but they are not my preference. I had no tripod or even a mono-pod, but was not aware of any restrictions. The architecture of the city is very conducive to great color or B&W photographs. (I only shot color.)

Look for the Prague photos of Josef Sudek although they barely reflect Prague today. For inspiring landscapes beyond Prague, look for photos on this forum by Jiri Vasina. (Although I suspect that the Czech Republic has diverse terrain and Jiri’s reflect principally agricultural landscapes.)

Are you among the many Iowans of Czech dissent?

- Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure if anyone had been there. So I considered it a long shot.

I will be in Prague for a few days then into the countryside to meet relatives in the small village that they live in. I have never been there so it will be a real neat experience. Yes, I am partially Czech. Originally from PA though. Now transplanted to IA - which I love, by the way

Thanks again for your reply,
    Jackie

My son brought a 4X5 to Prague a few years ago. He said it was particularly easy to photograph in the city. Some of the grandest architecture in Europe can be found in Prague, if that is your interest. As mentioned a look at Jiri Vasinas' work will give you a glimpse of the countryside.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I visited Prague and Ostrava in the mid-90's.

The photo opportunities in Prague and Czech are everywhere you step. All of the iconic images of Prague really do evoke in person the same reactions one experiences from the photos. Enjoy the experience, but remember that images will constantly present themselves. Actually, one short trip will simply cause you to go into graphic overload; and you'll need to go back to capture your vision of the place.

Cool trip if it's all personal. Mine was 95% business (non-photo). Watch out for the raw bacon & onion appetizers.

John

There are great shots of the Prague skyline and the bridges across the river from the park by the Havanski Pavilion. Also great food in the Havanski. Great shooting around the castle and the old lane where Kafka lived. Old Jewish cemetaries and temples are interesting as are the foot tours through the city. The hotel that Stalin built is different if you are from the USA and the current management has made it a very nice facility.

Dear Nathan, John, Alan and Bob,

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, tips and feedback. I was going to take only my digital camera but now I am more inspired to do 4x5. I am going with family so that may cramp my photo style a bit. I am sure it will all work out.

I will check out Jiri's website. He may be right where I am traveling, who knows?

Thanks again,
    Jackie

Steven Scardina had a beautiful portfolio in LensWork years ago...probably one of the best portfolios ever presented in that magazine.

His website is: http://www.scardinaphoto.com/

Click on Portfolios, and then Uncommon Grace...

Hi,

I visited Prague in 2006 and I had only digital with me. But I wish I had 4x5!

As to the book - I bought a book "Praha" by Libor Svacek. It's hardcover and full of amazing photographs of Prague!

And here's one of my photos I took in Prague with my 20D:

My wife and I spent a week in Prague in the spring of '07. As the others have posted, it is a beautiful city with photo opportunities at every turn.

For grins and chuckles take a quick shopping trip to Foto Skoda, and don't forget the beer, some of the best on the planet. Loved the St. Norberts in particular.