Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 without a darkroom?

4x5 without a darkroom?

I don't have the time nor the space to build myself a darkroom. Is there anyway I can do daylight processing? I've googled, but must solutions seem to revolve around discontinued products that are hard to find.

Thanks,
    Jazz

Re: 4x5 without a darkroom?

Easy enough to do. You can use a roller base and a tank or you can use the taco method, google it. It's not any more difficult, actually it is easier than roll film because you don't have to load film onto a reel. Give it a try.
    Erik

I use a Jobo ATL-1000. You can find them used on the bay if you check periodically. In the past I did use it for E-6 and C41, but I have abandon color film for digital and process only B&W now. I have used it for years with no problems. Having chemicals shipped to you can be a problem at times, so you may have to shop different dealers for them. All tanks I load inside a Harrision Tent on my kitchen table. I gave up my darkroom two years ago when I sold my larger home for my current retirement home. I even donated my enlarger to Goodwill. One thing I do not miss is the disposal of E-6 chemicals in the days I shot a lot of slide film for commercial purposes. If I decide to shot slide film today, I will mail order for development.

Best,
    Darr

I use plastic food storage containers for trays. When I lived at my mom and dads after college I set-up a folding table in a closet under the stairway and used that. I hung a black blanket from the ceiling to block the light from the folding doors. My elbows touched the walls - it was tight. Now our laundry room in our town-home works like a dream with counter-space, sink and ventilation. Bathrooms work too.

There are other ways to process, but I've only used trays and found it to be simple enough. 15 minutes or less in the dark is all it takes and you can go back into the light or a better working space after that. I assume you're speaking about black and white.

Others will have different ideas. This process works really well for me. Be creative and you can find space. Best of luck,

Rob

www.robertglieden.com

Piece of cake. I have a windowless bathroom. I do have to wait for it to get dark outside befor loading film. A changing bag or changing tent would be just as good and useful more hours of the day. Once loaded, the film gets developed in the kitchen. Hung to dry back in the bathroom. I did 2 sheets/night on 3 nights last week. I could have done all 6 in one batch but I needed different developing times.

I use Jobo tanks, reels, and either Uniroller or Beseler motor bases. Jobo made one tank with two numbers: 2251 or 2553. Same tank. The tank will hold 5-35mm, 3-120/220 or 2 6 sheet 4x5 reels. You will need the 2551/2553 tank and the cog lid. I got mine for the cost of postage and a friend got his for $6 from a local shop. You will need 1 or 2 2509 or 2509n reels. Of course you may also need/use the adjustable reels for rollfilm. The same reels hold 35mm or 120/220 film. My Uniroller base was $20 and the Beseler base was free in a car load of darkroom gear.

Go for it. It's cheap. It's easy.

ps: Start saving money for a Jobo 3010 Expert drum. Worth every penny.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

even a small bathroom works..... 3 dip and dunk tanks.
    you could even take a small folding plastic table that fits in the bathtub to place the tanks on.
    in fact the area I use to place the tanks is about 2-1/2 feet by 2 feet.
    to wash the negatives, I use a largish tupperware tray in the tub, swish the tray some, replenish the water.
    just wait till night time, turn off lights on adjoining rooms, you should good to go.
    it does not have to be all science lab stuff

Start by buying 4 or 5 or 6 of those 4x5 hangers, for tank dipping, in the For Sale area

Keep in mind that Aaron Siskind did all his work in Chicago tray processing 5x7 in a room without a sink! For the record, he washed in the kitchen sink. Four trays, basic chemistry, and a bathroom sink. Turn the lights out and stuff a towel at the door. Tape the windows with two layers of black trash bags. Cheap and easy, just like all your photo heroes used to do it!
    Last edited by Robbie Shymanski; 18-Jan-2009 at 21:05. Reason: Forgot a line.

If Type 55 was still made, I'd say 4x5 without a darkroom is easy. Good luck.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

All the rooms in my house have windows, and due to light pollution/spotlights on people's houses/need to sleep it doesn't matter if I do it at night.

This Jobo stuff sounds expensive. Wayne...can I actually find stuff like that inexpensively? It sounds like you lucked out...

Edit: Oh, I have a changing tent on the way.