Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trying to contact View Camera Magazine re: unfulfilled subscription

Re: Trying to contact View Camera Magazine re: unfulfilled subscription

Don, I'm in the darkroom right now trying to touchtype this and wash my third dry plate emulsion. I hope to get you over here an we try one together.

Kirk

If you like carrots, buy some. If you like View Camera Magazine, buy some. If you want editorial control, start a magazine...Evan Clarke

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    If you like carrots, buy some. If you like View Camera Magazine, buy some. If you want editorial control, start a magazine...Evan Clarke
    I like carrots! And VC Magazine. Like a few others here have noted, there seems to be some unspoken personality conflict that leads to heavy criticism at every opportunity. I don't know what those issues are, and I really don't care to.

I've been a long time subscriber and have no complaints. I've seen a lot of very good work in the portfolio sections that I'd have never seen anywhere else. And my high school students have always appreciated it more than the Pop Photo magazines, (though they may be a bit prejudiced these days...)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    A few years ago, I was at a New Year's Eve party in a small college town. One of the guests worked on campus in the mental health clinic. He was ripe with the cynicism of faux sophistication (and perhaps alcohol) and he was making fun of the school newspaper because they had just run an article on stress. "It seems like every four or five years they rediscover stress! You'd think they could drum up something new." It seemed to have slipped his mind that there was a new audience, in need of good advice on stress, every four or five years.

Those of us who've been going at photography for longer than we care to admit, sometimes forget the newcomers. They may not have seen 'the same stuff over and over'. They may not even be aware of a particular Google search keyword. The internet is of incomparable value, but it isn't a stand-alone medium. It is at its best as a partner to traditional publishing.

A magazine is a condensed collection of topics, meant to introduce and inspire. It is not a book or a workshop. If something you read in a magazine sparks your interest, you can find a book, a workshop, or an internet site devoted to one topic.

A magazine is actual. You can put it in your library and return to it year after year. Unless your house burns down, it will be there. I hope no one believes that's true for this forum or any other website. I didn't print out the last issue of Magnachrome I wanted to keep, and now it's gone - lost even to the wayback machine.

Eddie, it's hard to tell from your post what exactly you thought 'sucked' - Coffer's article, the dry plate article, the entire issue - ?. (Precise writing seems to be one of the internet's victims.) I doubt you have seen too many articles on dry plate photography. I was the author of that article. It was an attempt at 21st century journalism. I referenced my website, which is over a hundred 'pages' of content on silver gelatin emulsions - far more than could fit in one magazine article. The website and its content is free.

Here's what I know - fact, not opinion. I have received dozens of emails from people who were unaware that dry plate was being made and that you could learn how on The Light Farm. This despite being up and running for almost a year and my regular posts here and on APUG. I assume the same is true for every author in that LF issue. People still learn new 'stuff' from between paper pages. I love the internet. I couldn't do what I do without it, but it is only one avenue of information sharing. If we don't reach out every way possible, to people of every age and entry level, all that will be left of photography is the cell phone. The only good news if that happens is that you'll have your pick of cheap, used lenses.

Sincerely,
    Denise Ross
    i have quoted my original post as after rereading it i think it answers the questions:

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    a bit OT but this kind of stuff has lead me not to subscribe to this rag.

i had a subscription years ago but let it go as i thought the content was not so good.

i bought the latest one to read about coffer and the dry plate article. IMO it sucked! i thought it severely lacked content. the article seemed top be a few paragraphs of intro and then fell on its face. no body no info, very sad.

next time i will just browse through it at the newsstand.

good luck to you.

eddie
    i would like to follow up on this. "you" people get awful worked up on what is MY opinion! i very clearly stated that the magazine lacked content, editing, and is poorly written (and delivered based on the OP question).

all the "puffed up" response was do not buy it.....i do NOT. i let my subscription lapse back in 2006! i have several friends that no longer subscribe or read it. so "your" suggestion is a poor one. all that dwindling subscriptions do it make the rag fail! instead "you" should be after the publisher to fix the problems i and others have outlined to try and revive the mag not alienate potential past and present consumers! i even have one friend the only subscribes to the magazine to try and support it as it is the only LF periodical available....but he throws it out after thumbing through it cause he even thinks it sucks and is not worth keeping!

so i am not the only one. for those of you that think this is a quality well written, well delivered, well printed, content full magazine i am shocked! you should stand up and demand more form this....or rethink your standards! i mean come on, 64 pages of material!?!?! many are ads! is there not enough info available that more well written content could be added?

Denise, you specifically asked me about your article so i will address your question. i bought this rag ONLY to read about coffer, dry plates and carbon transfer. i think your article is well written....BUT it has basically just over 2 pages of written content! i realize that your website has 100s of pages of info, but we are talking about the rag now not online content. as i stated above: "i thought it severely lacked content. the article seemed top be a few paragraphs of intro and then fell on its face. no body no info, very sad." the background was good. several paragraphs of info......3 paragraphs of "getting started"....hhhmmmm how about a bit more content on getting started like what i will need? the approx cost, potential pit falls to watch out for etc etc. the next bit "Dry Plate....." again, content is just over 3 paragraphs. i never really learned about it. i received a bit more history, but this should have already be covered in the previous "history" section in the article. you list photos of 3 different emulsion recipes....where are the recipes? overall i have some added history about dry plates but i do not have enough info to try it or to think about trying it. all i know from the article is that it is on glass and uses silver. there must be more. i believe that a magazine article should stand on its own. if further internet reading is available to compliment the mag then by all means support it with the info BUT the rag should provide me with enough info of the overall process.

the coffer article and the carbon article follow along the same lines. they all need more content and be better edited. for example look at the carbon article. there is one paragraph on bob herbst! either leave that tidbit out or dramatically expand on it. i mean come on, bob is a well know PP printer, he has experimented on aluminum, and it has 3 dimensional qualities!?!?!? AND? that is all? what the heck?!? that does not say anything! that sounds like a conclusion from a 4 paragraph general essay written by an unenthusiastic college freshman! but instead THAT is the entire writings about Bob Herbst process! nothing else could have been added? AND this is acceptable to "you" people? i am appalled at what "you" consider acceptable in print and then harass me about my opinion on my experience! shame on you! shame on the rag!

lets step back to college writing for a moment. what happened to an intro, body, supporting info, and a conclusion? is this rag a college freshman just trying to get he home work done and handed in by the due date? an article in my opinion should have an intro paragraph and then at least a min of 6-10 paragraphs of supporting material and then a conclusion! is it so much to ask to have suh information included into a piece? would it hurt the rag to have more info? are we paying by the pound? why so slim? why so short on info? content? editing?

there 22 pages of ads not counting the covers! that is over a 1/3! 7 pages of pictures with no or little text! so you are trying to say that only 1/2 of the rag is text! how much info could actually be in there? i mean of the text pages that i talk about most have supporting photos to go along with it. so that means there is probably only 15-18 pages of ACTUAL INFO in there!

so, i stick with my initial assessment of a rag that is plagued with poor distribution, lack of content and poor editing. it left me asking where is the rest? i will no buy it as i stated before. if you want to that is fine. i will ad my opinion if i like even if "you" do not agree with my opinion. what i have written is fact. go back and look at the rag, consider what i have stated and then ask yourself are you really getting a top quality, informative well produce periodical? if you think so buy it! i will not buy it that is for sure.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Big Bend

They asked what Eddie thought sucked and Eddie told them.

Clay

A lot of people think Western Sizzler serves really great, high-end food. And apparently a lot of people think VC magazine is pretty fine. What can you say? De gustibus non disputandum est

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Eddie,

When are you going to Mexico to pick up Jorge Gasteazoro so you can he can head North of the Border to straighten Steve Simmons out?
    i am not interested in straightening mr simmons out. he can run his rag anyway he wants.

mexico with jorge sounds fun though.....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

My apologies, QT.