Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building and 8x10 enlarger?

Building and 8x10 enlarger?

Well I'm starting to think about a project idea, I wonder if you can see any pitfalls.

I have an extra 300mm lens, a Boyer APO, that I was going to use to make a box camera. Then I thought it would be nice to have an 8x10 enlarger.

I'm inspired by a gizmo that made Polaroid prints from 35mm slides, a fixed focus box. What I'm thinking of doing is making a simple box that would be sized to do 16x20's from the full frame 8x10 neg. Sort of shaped like a pyramid. Light source would be my 9x12" light box.

I'm thinking that I wouldn't need a condenser because I wouldn't be projecting a long way. Diffusion style light. No moving parts, except maybe some thumb screws at the base to adjust fine focus. Slide the neg in the top, slide the paper in the bottom, expose and process.

Thoughts?

W K Longcor

Re: Building and 8x10 enlarger?

The pyramid box that you are designing was made by Eastman Kodak and others about 100 years back or so. The one I have on my shelf is for 4x5 glass negs (or film negs between glass). The bottom was hinged and held a sheet of 8x10 paper. A wooden board held a simple lens ( no f/stop adjustment). If it would be of help, I can take some photos for you.

I have made an enlarger like you describe. I started with a cheap wooden 8x10 camera (Raja) and built a cabinet that I could set the camera in the top and level it all up and at the right heights I put in a shelf for 11x14, 16x20 with borders, 16x20 without borders. I used a table saw to make the cabinet and was very careful to make it all square and the shelves to sit in exactly level and square. Surprisingly it all works very well as far as focus and corner to corner sharpness.

My light source is a wooden box that fits down over the back of the camera. I put a sheet of milk plastic at the bottom of the box and put in 6 globe light bulbs at the top. It can get kind of hot.

I took the back off the camera leaving only the channel for the back to fit in and had a couple pieces of plate glass cut to fit in there perfectly. I sandwich negs between the sheets of glass.

I have used this to enlarge contact sheets as well as 8x10 negs and it gets the job done. Though having to go down on the floor on my knees to focus isn't fun. I use a 305 G Claron for the lens and the prints look sharp though the grain in the grain focuser looks a bit mushy.

My idea was to make a cabinet that allowed me to go shooting with the camera and then set the same camera in the top of the cabinet and make enlargements. I ended up making it permanent and taking the stiff bellows off the camera and replacing them with black cloth.
    Dennis

I would be interested in what you come up with.

Jon

With labs discarding 8x10 enlargers for scrap now-a-days, it hardly seems economically sound to build. I paid $147. for my Chromega floor-standing 10x10 dichroic enlarger, and it included a 300mm Rodagon.

However, as a comment on lens. There are shorter focal-length enlarging lenses that will easily cover 8x10, and would make your project physically shorter.

I also was going to build an 8x10 enlarger, but was able to buy one for very little. Of course it was quite a matter of time looking before one came up in driving distance.

There are a number of sites and threads that I came across about building 8x10 enlargers that may be helpful.

http://www.philsan.com/8x10_enlarger.htm
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=19820
    http://www.fineartradiography.com/ho.../enlarger.html
    http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/0055NV
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=21758
    http://www.archive.org/stream/buildi...63mbp_djvu.txt
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...cb7-parts.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/4...-enlarger.html

One thing to consider is that using the 300mm lens (as opposed to a 'wide-angle' lens for 8x10 enlargement) is the sheer size of what you need to construct. I measured my head-height and bellows extension for a 16x20 for another thread (which I can't find now). This picture shows the enlarger set up for a 16x20, so you get an idea of how big you would need to go with your construction.

Thanks for the tips. The size estimate from the photo doesn't look daunting, it could be an end table when not in use.

A full size 8x10 enlarger DOES look pretty huge, though more versatile.

I have some shorter lenses in shutters, but figured to use the 300mm process lens and leave it in there.

Sounds like there's no big mystery, just basic craftsmanship. I'll make up something in cardboard first.

I have the two Lacon 380 condensers that I rescued from a 10x10 Durst 184 con head. I only print with a diffuse light source, so I have no use for them, but I couldn't stand to see them just thrown away. If they would help you on your quest, I'd sell them for $10 (to cover packing and materials) plus shipping (would be one box of about 45 lbs).

Come to think of it, I also have the 3-axis bulb adjustment fixture from a Durst 138 that I'd include also. You'd need to build a sturdy light-tight box for the head parts and a stand, or you could mount the head to studs.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

I just finished an 8x10 enlarger project myself. I use my 8x10 camera which I mount onto a chassis that I made. The most expensive part was the Aristo Light Head. Without that and the Camera it was about $200.00.

Here it is with the camera attached...

It's a counter top unit and with a 240mm lens I can enlarge up to 20 x 24 with the low ceiling in my basement.

nk
    Nick Kanellos

With labs discarding 8x10 enlargers for scrap now-a-days, it hardly seems economically sound to build. I paid $147. for my Chromega floor-standing 10x10 dichroic enlarger, and it included a 300mm Rodagon.
    Isn't that true, in my area there are a dozen 8x10 enlargers available each week. I even passed up on a nice 11x14 enlarger with head and Apo Nikkor lens. I already have several that I don't use now, I'm having a dumpster come next week just to junk them.