Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Advice for long lens rental for Yosemite

Re: Advice for long lens rental for Yosemite

Hi Michie,

I made a similar inquiry about renting a longer lens not too long ago for my ARCA 4x5 FC camera and found that Calumet in SF had a few in stock. They supposedly have a Caltar f 5.6 300mm, a Caltar f6.8 360mm, and a Rodenstock f9 480mm on hand. As I recall, a Friday to Monday morning rental counted as one $30 day. My problem was a lack of rail and bellow length. Good luck.

Roger

Wow Vaughn!

I've been to the base of Ribbon in the spring when it was cooking, but it was a major grunt. I can't imagine trying it if there were any snow on the ground.

In general, I try to avoid standing at the base of the cliffs on the north side of the valley in the winter due to spalling ice. South side, it is less of an issue. On the north side, the temperature swings are too great and those table-sized flakes of ice cut loose as soon as the sun's rays hit the wall, with monster slices flying every which way--like bats on the hunt--during their multi-thousand foot descent.

That's when those 500T lenses (a great system BTW, I use the 360) earn their keep. ;-)

Roger,
    Pro Camera Rental on Minnesota had a Nikkor 450 and Fuji 600C that I'm renting (for Friday to Tuesday - 2day rental - that's why I'm taking both)...Rod at Photomark sold me a long bellows and 16" rail out of his consignment stuff...Photomark is a great resource for Arca stuff and any questions regarding camera operations...(Thanks Eric for the tip to check out Photomark).

Michie

Eric - wasn't sure how to get a hold of you -
    This is off topic, but was wondering or if you cared - that this site is using your review...
    http://www.liyuguang.com/index-33-1-6.htm

Michie

Quote Originally Posted by An Infinite Journey View Post
    Eric - wasn't sure how to get a hold of you -
    This is off topic, but was wondering or if you cared - that this site is using your review...
    http://www.liyuguang.com/index-33-1-6.htm

Michie
    Thanks for the link, Michie. In briefly reviewing his site, I saw that he also copied the Introduction to Large Format from the B&H web site. He should have just provided links or asked for permission to post these write-ups, but I guess respect for other folks intellectual work or copywrite laws can be pretty weak over in mainland China (look at all the bootleg DVD movie copies produced there). I don't like it but it's not practical for me to do anything about it; it's just one of the hazards of posting on the web.

Thanks for the heads up on Photomark, Michie. It sounds like rail extension, versus the telescopic replacement option, is the way to go for my needs. I want to keep the gear light and, from what I hear, stability isn't at all that bad (at least for the sizes of lenses that I am concerned about). Yes, I forgot about Pro Camera Rental - I have never been there but will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by An Infinite Journey View Post
    Hi all,
    I keeping my fingers crossed for my trip to Yosemite in late February to catch Horsetail Falls in the "firefall" sunset.
    Well? How did it go?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

I rented the nikkor 450M and Fujinon 600C - never put the 600 on the camera because it was overcast and the long views were pretty blah. The 450 on the other hand was put to work with close-ups - what a spectacular lens!

Anyway met up with one of the photogs from the Ansel Adams Gallery and he said this year was a really bad show for Horsetail Falls - only one day with marginal lighting...The falls were flowing, just bad lighting...just another reason to go back to Yosemite next year

Now I'm in the hunt for a macro lens - but not in a copal 3 - the 450 was HEAVY! ...
    Thank you to everyone who's read through this thread and especially those who put their two cents in.
    Hope y'all are having as much fun as I am.
    Michie

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Last year was my first time photographing the falls. I shot it from the meadow in El Cap picnic area with a 400mm lens on a Pentax 67II camera (200mm 35mm equiv and ~ 600mm 4x5 equiv) with the only roll of 120 color negative film at The Ansel Adams Gallery. The image seems identical with the one posted on Michael Fry's website - identical perspective as if he came by and used my camera!

I printed the image last year using a filter pack that was optimized for the rock and let the sky go a shade of grey like in Galen Rowell’s version. I just started to reprint for a blue sky using an acetate mask to mask for the sky and rock. Some folks think that a blue sky isn't appropriate for this image as the color of the sky in the west at sundown isn't blue. What do you think?

Anyone going this year?