Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eizo Monitors...

Eizo Monitors...

Dear Group,

My trusted friend, a five year old Cinema HD monitor, is painfully passing away in front of me...

I reviewed a few archive notes, but I would like to know whether anyone within the group actually owns or happens to use an Eizo graphics monitor, such as the "CG241W?" It looks as though I may need to replace what I have in a few days. The video card is working well, but not the monitor. I may replace the Cinema HD with the newer Mac monitor, but that model is not available just yet, and then again I am not certain if I really like the reflective glass on the newer Cinema HD, either.

Comments about your experience with the Eizo display would help, since I can pick up a new Eizo within a day...

Thank you in advance,

jim k

Re: Eizo Monitors...

I run two 24" Dell monitors (Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP) off my 8-core MacPro. One I have configured in landscape and the other in portrait mode.

You can get them inexpensively from Dell's refurbished stock for $399 each. Once they are calibrated, they are as good as my old Apple 22" Cinema display.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=22&l=en&s=dfh

They have 25 in stock right now. Shipping is free, if you are not in a rush. Mine came within 3 days of ordering. Did have to pay sales tax.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I use that exact model. running on the latest model of Mac Pro.

an outstanding monitor.. have had no problems with it at all.. calibration is easy and from what i can tell, accurate.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Group,

My trusted friend, a five year old Cinema HD monitor, is painfully passing away in front of me...

I reviewed a few archive notes, but I would like to know whether anyone within the group actually owns or happens to use an Eizo graphics monitor, such as the "CG241W?" It looks as though I may need to replace what I have in a few days. The video card is working well, but not the monitor. I may replace the Cinema HD with the newer Mac monitor, but that model is not available just yet, and then again I am not certain if I really like the reflective glass on the newer Cinema HD, either.

Comments about your experience with the Eizo display would help, since I can pick up a new Eizo within a day...

Thank you in advance,

jim k

There are a few interesting monitors in the same price range as the Eizo from HP, NEC, and LaCie, so you might want to check them out. Chromix.com lists many of them in their "store" section.

I have the HP "Dreamcolor" monitor, and it is very good.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your quick replies...

I shall review these monitors.

jim k

Only 5 years out of a Cinema Display. That is rather disappointing, as mine is coming up to 5 years. Knock on wood, no issues as of yet. Exactly what were the early symptoms?

The monitor is starting to display a few artifacts, such as a large blocked stained area along the top and along the sides of the monitor, where these stained areas seem to grow larger each week. The darker blocked areas are starting to encroach upon my usable area within the monitor, therefore making my calibrated screen extremely difficult to accept. The second item is a noticeable increase with a latent image issue, where the screen must rest or go black for a few hours to eliminate the ghosting, or a static image burn in, such as the outlined image of Photoshop's user window and a browser's window frame.

When I turn the monitor on the ghosting is not an issue, but the issue becomes increasingly apparent as the day progresses. So, the monitor's age could be a factor. There is a screen saver method and a monitor brightness method that I can use during the day to eliminate and, or reduce the ghosting latent image problem, but these methods are taking longer to reduce the problem. If these methods are solutions to an existing problem, they are not an avenue I would prefer to follow, since I do not know whether the screen's calibration shifted.

So I think it might be time to reinvest in a newer Apple monitor and possibly a newer Mac box too, since their warranties are married through the AppleCare program at time of purchase. History tells me that I will more than likely replace the monitor, and keep the current Mac box, because the Mac box refuses to quit waking up. The Cinema HD monitor was a fabulous monitor and for the moment, the monitor may be regulated to other duties...

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    Only 5 years out of a Cinema Display. That is rather disappointing, as mine is coming up to 5 years. Knock on wood, no issues as of yet. Exactly what were the early symptoms?
    I have been generally happy with the color on this monitor. It's no an Eizo, by any stretch, but the 2 23 inchers on my desk have served me well. I had to return one of them back to Apple after a few months and get it "fixed" and now both of them - after about 3 years - have major problems. This is the first time that I think Apple has let me down with equipment.

It looks like it's bleeding in from the top, almost like it was water damage, which it isn't. There are a couple of splotches of darkness on the side as well. I'm pretty annoyed... my next monitor will have to be a better one.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Dear Lenny,

The "bleeding from the top" comment happens to be a very good description of my issue too...

This issue could be a time related monitor heat problem, and since my monitor is unfortunately outside the AppleCare three year warranty, I might just invest in another monitor that has a longer five year warranty such as Eizo, albeit a limited and controlled warranty.

jim k

I recently discussed monitors with CHROMiX, and they advised me that when it comes to monitors, consumer products like Apple and others, differ from pro models like Eizo, largely in terms of their endurance.

According to CHROMiX, Consumer monitors start to degrade and shift quickly, while pro monitors retain a higher level of performance and fidelity. Hence the higher price, and a correspondingly better warranty.