Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are there any Agfa APX25 equivalents available?

Re: Are there any Agfa APX25 equivalents available?

Quote Originally Posted by jvuokko View Post
    Is there any comparable charasteristic charts of APX-25, Panf+, ADOX Pan25, CHS 25 Art and probably new Rollei Pan 25?
    They would be interesting.

I have an idea to compare some of current slow films with orginal APX-25 in terms of tonality and grain. Perhaps including one faster T-grain film too.

At least I will surely know after the test what film I will use (or keep using) instead of APX-25.
    jvuokko,

Did you manage to get the tests done? Am interested in the results. Also what is available in 4x5 and 6x10?

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by jvuokko View Post
    Is there any comparable charasteristic charts of APX-25, Panf+, ADOX Pan25, CHS 25 Art and probably new Rollei Pan 25?
    They would be interesting.

I have an idea to compare some of current slow films with orginal APX-25 in terms of tonality and grain. Perhaps including one faster T-grain film too.

At least I will surely know after the test what film I will use (or keep using) instead of APX-25.
    jvuokko,

Did you manage to get the tests done? Am interested in the results. Also what is available in 4x5 and 6x10?

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    jvuokko,

Asher
    Hi, test is otherwise done, have to draw graphs and still scan some samples.

I included following films on test (all are not available on LF size, but I was curios and tested):

- Panf+
    - ADOX Pan 25
    - Fuji Acros 100
    - ADOX CHS 25 Art
    - SPUR DSX32 (special film, only available on 35mm)
    - APX-25

The Panf+, ADOX Pan 25, ADOX CHS 25 Art and Acros 100 are available on 4x5.

So far I can only say that Acros 100 developed in Pyrocat-HD is really sharp film, goes sharper than Panf+. The grain it bit larger but it does not have any mean in LF or MF. SPUR DSX32 is ofcourse sharpest, but it does not have any practical mean.

What is interesting is that the H&D curve of APX-25 is not so special, actually it's quite straight. Something that you could expect from TMX or Delta100.

I won't go deep in the H&D curves yet, but now it seems that Adox pan 25 matches closest with APX-25, but it does have more toe and shoulder. The Panf+ seems to be second closest, but the difference to the Adox pan 25 is not big. Acros 100 is also much more S shaped than APX-25.

One question that I would raisi is that will the secret of the tonality of APX-25 really be only in the shape of the H&D curve, or is there something else too?

What I would like to do is to photograph some really real subject on APX-25, say wet stones on the river during late evening for example. Then take same photograph on couple of films that come closest according to the H&D curve and then compare the prints. Which will have best tones, it will be the winner.
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Jukka,

May I suggest once you've completed your tests you add another test? Selenium toning adds a depth (acutance and extended gamma curve) that is otherwise unattainable, IMO. Might you consider trying this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Jukka,

May I suggest once you've completed your tests you add another test? Selenium toning adds a depth (acutance and extended gamma curve) that is otherwise unattainable, IMO. Might you consider trying this?
    Do you mean testing of selenium toning of the films?
    If so, it could be interesting as I haven't done it ever. I have thought that it's only the last attempt to get more contrast to unprintable flat negative.
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Yes, I mean selenium toning negs. This extends the straight line portion of the gamma curve which helps to keep shadows open and highlights unblocked. It's been a very long time ago but I normally overexposed one full stop (metered for the lowest shadow detail that needed texture and set that exposure point to -3 EV or "zone 2" ... but as stated at half the ASA rating) with Agfapan 25 or 100 then underprocessed in Rodinal 1:50 or 1:100 depending on contrast of scene then selenium toned to bring the contrast up to where the negs would print on #2 or #3 Ilford Gallery. I developed to bring the highlights (with the highest value needing detail) to "zone VI". I visually inspected the film during toning to avoid going too far. I then selenium toned the prints as well... "very" slightly underexposing the prints and using the toner to increase DMax. The resulting images were very high in acutance with very open shadows and highly detailed highlights.

Agfapan APX 25 roll film 120

Dear Joerg,
    I just read these old postings of yours. 5 years have already passed, but do you perhaps still have some rolls Agfapan APX 25 from this last batch?
    Best regards, Borislav

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Krusche View Post
    Don,

all films mentioned in this thread are very good films once you spent the time to optimize .. and todays film manufacturers should have our support .. and we should buy from them such that they can continue their offering .. but since there was a question re discontinued APX 25 on this forum .. I thought I should reply specifically for those who used APX 25/120 .. and loved this film ....selling price for these users on this forum is 5 USD/roll .. I believe a fair offer for those who want this very special film ..I hope I addressed your question,

Best regards,

joerg

What a confusing thread!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I also would like to know if there are any rolls of Apx 25 still available? Would greatly appreciate it!

I still enjoy using my few remaining 120 rolls of APX 25