Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from France

Hello from France

Hello,

I'm really a newbie in large format photography : my Chamonix camera is in the way home and I already have a super angulon 120 (I've planned to use it during the summer hollydays in the french alps, in Chamonix city).
    My other camera is an Hasselblad with 50, 100,150mm.

It's always a pleasure to read posts in the LF photography forums as there is here a hudge amount of informations written by kind people.

Hope to read some posts from you. As for me, it would be difficult to say anything about LF photography because I know almost nothing .

Bien cordialement à tous

Chris

Re: Hello from France

Welcome to the club !
    You are not the only Frenchman here
    --
    Emmanuel Bigler from Besançon

Thank you Emmanuel.

Chris from Metz

Welcome Chris !

We may be a few Frenchies here actually...

Be careful, LF is VERY addicting !!!

Laurent from Chateauneuf sur Loire

From France...very nice!

Hi all.

I am actually in Paris right now... and completely lost!
    Is there somebody who could suggest me few spots for nice landscape photography?
    I was thinking some place around Paris (but probably there is nothing here!), or in the north: Normandy or Brittany. Or somewhere else here in France.
    Any suggestion?
    Thank you.

Ugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ugo View Post
    From France...very nice!

Is there somebody who could suggest me few spots for nice landscape photography?
    Any suggestion?
    Thank you.

Ugo
    France.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Pretty anywhere in the Quartier Latin would be nice. . .

Greetings from la Charente
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

spots for nice landscape photography?

Trying not to look as a nationalist, it is a matter of fact that among the present 27 countries members of the EU, France is the largest, Spain being second.
    So there are so many places to visit in France as a landscape photographer that it is hard to suggest something !
    If you like seascapes, Brittany and Normandy have, no doubt, many things to offer. Normandy is located quite close to Paris by car or by train. You probably need to have a look at Étretat cliffs if you like cliffs Brittany has probably a wider choice of seascapes to offer, but it is located quite far from Paris, you cannot make a return trip to Brittany within one day as you can do it for Normandy.
    From Paris downstream the river Seine en route to Normandy you have some spectacular views at Les Andelys for example.

Otherwise, France has many mountain ranges with spectacular vistas. By descending order of highesr peaks and deeper valleys : the Alps, the Pyrenees, the Massif Central, Jura and Vosges.
    But his those mountains are located quite far from Paris, the closest by high speed train is the Jura range where I live ; about 3 hours by TGV from Paris to Pontarlier or Bellegarde. For snowscapes, the Jura is perfect those days, we had almost two weeks of bright sunshine and bitter frost, perfect for all kinds of winter scenes.... although the Jura are not as high as the Alps, we do get a lot of cold & snow. Most of our lakes in the moutains are frozen those days and people go skating.
    To go to the Alps, allow at least 5 hours by train, single fare, this is another story... but the number of stunnig vistas in the Alps is immense !

Paris is located in a very flat area with respect to our mountaineous regions. This does not mean that no landscape photography is possible ! The North of France, north of Paris, is quite flat as well like Belgium. However if you are interested in wet areas where many birds find their refuges, I recommend the Somme river estuary named Marquenterre, but I don't not know if January is the proper season fo that.

As a general advice you can rely on the well-know Green Michelin tourist guide. the whole collection for France is easily available in Paris bookstores and many of them are published in English. They are designed for the motorist and their suggestions for itineraries andt hinsg worth to see are excellent.

multiplex

hi chris

nice to see you here.
    im not french, but visit my wife's family
    in franche-comte whenever i get the chance.

john

Thank you. I'm not far from Franche comte (North East of france).
    I am situated next to Germany, 30 miles ap.

For Ugo : if you plan to go to brittany, there's a TGV (Train Great Velocity) from Paris Montparnasse to Nantes (2 hours) or better Le Croizic (ad 30 minutes).
    Then, you will be very closed to Guerande which is a beautiful place. They produce salt there and it is a preserved natural park.

Guerande is considered by Geo magazine to be one of the nicest place of France.

From Paris, this travel is quite convenient.

Hope it helps.

Chris