Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello from France

Re: Hello from France

My favorite in France are the mountains above Chamonix,

Hello Tuan ! Superb images !
    Yes I cannot disagree about Chamonix but what we could add for somebody familiar with minimal distances to cover in Northern America from one famous landscape-tripod-hole to another, is that within one or two hour's drive from Chamonix, the landscape, the mountains, the peopke & their languages, the architecture, food etc.. change so much that you cannot believe that you are actually in the same moutain range.
    For example famous Aiguilles-de-Chamonix peaks are made of a special kind of granite loved by rock climbers. But very close to Chamonix in the Arve & Giffre areas, you have ranges of limestone mountains (with some of the deepest limestone caves ever explored) giving a totally different scenery. For example in autumn. You'll find those kinds of limestone cliffs and magnificent pastures in Switzerland above Fribourg, 1.5 - 2 hours drive from Chamonix crossing the Col-de-la-Forclaz.
    Fribourg alpine pastures and limestone mountains is a favourite subject for a do-it-yourself Swiss Calendar in 8x10 'chromes
    Just crossing the Mont Blanc Tunnel to Aosta in Italy will change the architecture and weather in a incredible way. Chamonix is somewhat plagued by clouds and fog (except on advertising tourist brochures of course ) much more than the nearby sunnier Valle d'Aosta in Italy or Valais area in Switzerland where excellent wine & apricots are produced.

Not mentioning the natural hot springs of bains de Saillon near Martigny (don't tell them that I disclosed this secret , a favourite relaxing spot for skiers in winter !!

M. Luong,

Many thanks for these photos. Chamonix is the next destination for my summer hollidays.
    It appears to be a good choice.

Emmanuel, do you enjoy the Jura ? I think it's probably beautiful.

Chris

Emmanuel, do you enjoy the Jura ?
    Well, my opinion is biased since I was born there and I live there.
    It offers many opportunities for outdoors.
    To give you an example, next week my wife will go with the local section of the Alpine Club for a 3 days off-track cross country ski in the Jura, including winter camping with all the gear, with pulkas.
    Something hard to do near Paris ;-)
    Those LF images by Paul Schilliger (Switzerland) will give you an idea of the spirit of such outdoor experiences in the Jura in Winter.

http://www.paulschilliger.com/Pages/...ur-le-Jura.jpg

http://www.paulschilliger.com/Pages/...eds-winter.jpg