Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 SLR with Graflex Focal Plane shutter

8x10 SLR with Graflex Focal Plane shutter

Not too long ago, I acquired a Graflex 8x10 Focal Plane shutter in good working condition. I don't know how old it is, but Graflex FPS were first patented in 1902 as it says on the plate, my guess is that mine had been completely overhauled some time in the past as the curtains appear to be in good condition, springs are good and strong, and speeds seem to be fairly accurate. I'm attempting to build an 8x10 SLR around this shutter based on the Graflex Series D/Super D, and was wondering if anybody here has a technical/repair manual, showing sections, cutaways, details of the Series D/Super D? I couldn't seem to find it on graflex.org and I don't really want to disassemble my Super D to see, particularly regarding the mirror mechanism and the synchronized shutter release. I can't do without the auto-diaphragm feature of the Super D. Thanks in advance.

Re: 8x10 SLR with Graflex Focal Plane shutter

Lucky you.

There are a bunch of Graflex manuals on eBay, but don't know if eBay has exactly what you are looking for. Give it a search in the eBay Store area. I think that's where I saw the various Graflex stuff.

I only have two 5x7 Graflex cameras. No 8x10.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Rumours say that there once existed an 8x10 Graflex SLR. You are the second I've heard of that own this curtain. You could contact Lens and repro, they might know.

When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

There's a repair manual for a smaller Graflex on eBay which may contain the diagrams I need, just have to scale everything up to the 8x10 size. Thanks Walter, lucky would be to successfully this difficult project with my limited skills. Graflex did advertise an 8x10 SLR in their 1904-1905 catalog, but not sure how many were actually made if any. As far as I know, McKeown has never documented the existence of one. But Graflex did sell just the FPS as an accessory, that fits directly onto several 8x10 cameras, and I believe that this is what I have, not a salvaged part from that mythical 8x10 Graflex.

What I mean to say in the initial post is that I can do without the auto diaphragm feature of the Super D.

If I were wanting to do something like this, an idea I have toyed with, I'd do this: get a beat-to-hell 4x5 series D or B or something similar, one that will obviously never photograph again, and take it apart. Use it as a learning specimen.

When I once looked into my 5x7" Press Graflex, it looked like the mirror synch mechanism was fairly straightforward. If I recall correctly, the release button that one presses on the camera only releases the mirror (so it might be better to call it the "mirror release" rather than the "shutter release"). The mirror is under spring tension, and when the mirror flips up to its velvet padded frame, it trips a lever that releases the focal plane shutter.

Let us know how this project comes out, and post pictures...sounds greaqt.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Suryo View Post
    What I mean to say in the initial post is that I can do without the auto diaphragm feature of the Super D.
    I own a very nice custom made auto diaphragm copal 1 size that fits my Super D, which allows me to use modern 210mm's ...