Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarging lenses for 8x10 b/w

Enlarging lenses for 8x10 b/w

I'm interested in your opinions and preferences between these three lenses for enlarging 8x10 b/w in the 2x to 10x enlargement range:

300mm f9 Apo Ronar CL (near new)
    360mm f9 Apo Ronar (older model - maybe from the 50's or 60's?)
    480mm f9 Apo Ronar (older model - maybe from the 50's or 60's?)

I realise that all of these are primarily camera lenses optimised for process work, and that their max apertures are not ideal, but that's what I have available at present.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Drew Wiley

Re: Enlarging lenses for 8x10 b/w

I'd test them. But if I had to bet on one it would be the 360.

Vanannan

Hi
    Depends on your ceiling height or if you can drop the baseboard of your enlarger, I have tried 450mm and 360mm lenses and found that I was not able to get much above 10X8 without lowering the baseboard of my Devere which is rather inconvenient, I also found using a 300mm a bit of a bother, I now use a 240mm Componon S for 10X8 inch Negs which allows enlargements from 8X10 to 20X30 inches without any hassle.
    Good luck.

Thanks for those.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure whether the 300 or the 360 might not have adequate coverage. Or alternatively, if they would not provide enough magnification to be useful for the larger print sizes, which I assumed would be the case with the 480.
    What was the issue with the 300mm that made you find using it a bother, Tony?
    Is the 240 that you mentioned a regular or a wide-angle enlarging lens?
    I will be printing on a De Vere also.

Do you have enough bellows extension for such long lenses?

Don't forget you have to focus them. If you use a grain focuser you need to be able to look into the focuser and adjust the focus knob. This is easier with a shorter lens.

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Polden View Post
    Thanks for those.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure whether the 300 or the 360 might not have adequate coverage. Or alternatively, if they would not provide enough magnification to be useful for the larger print sizes, which I assumed would be the case with the 480.
    What was the issue with the 300mm that made you find using it a bother, Tony?
    Is the 240 that you mentioned a regular or a wide-angle enlarging lens?
    I will be printing on a De Vere also.
    Hi Rodney
    I had similar problems to to longer lenses, my ceiling height is about eight feet I could not get larger than about 14X17 inch enlargements without lowering the baseboard which with my old Devere is a nuisance, I could keep my baseboard at the lower level but this involves some acrobatics to focus and compose ie kneeling on the floor, if you have a more modern Devere lowering and raising the baseboard maybe an easier option if you wish to use the longer lenses, as I have said I now use a 240mm lens and have eliminated all the hassle, the 240mm Componon S covers a 10X8 inch neg with corner to corner sharpness when stopped down by one stop (f5.6 to f8) there are many 240mm lenses avalable cheaply which would do the job well ie G Claron or similar process lens, I paid the equivalent of US$180 for my 240 Componon S boxed and in mint condition, I have seen similar dedicated enlarging lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock sell for less than US$100.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    Don't forget you have to focus them. If you use a grain focuser you need to be able to look into the focuser and adjust the focus knob. This is easier with a shorter lens.
    Rodney is using a Devere which has front of baseboard controls making focusing a doddle regardless of which lens he chooses.

I have a Patterson grain focuser that's about a foot or so higher than the typical focuser. They come up occassionally on EBay. Makes it easier to focus, when the enlarger head is high.

What's driving you towards one of these lenses? There've been some pretty good prices on 240mm Rodenstock Rodagons lately.

Well the three Apo Ronars are among the lenses I already have for shooting 5x7 and 8x10, so if one of them will work as satisfactorily as a dedicated enlarging lens, then I would not spend the time and money on finding and buying a Componon, Rodagon etc.

The simple answer would be to test all three on the 8x10 De Vere, and see how they do. Trouble is, the enlarger is sitting in two large crates awaiting a whole lot more work on my new darkroom (including an area with raised ceiling to accommodate the max height of the enlarger). It will need some assembly, careful alignment and the rest before I can use it to assess lenses.

So the idea of getting opinions from all you helpful guys was so that, if I really do NEED a dedicated enlarging lens, the task of finding the right one can go ahead at the same time as continuing the work on the light traps, the air filtration system, the cabinets, the water temp controller, the light-table ......

As John said so succinctly: "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". Thanks for your input everyone, I really appreciate your valuable comments. I'm getting there....
    Last edited by Rodney Polden; 12-Dec-2008 at 14:26. Reason: typo