Thread: Heidelberg 2400XL

Heidelberg 2400XL

Can anyone point me to information about these scanners, I've just bought one. I have the specs, I was hoping to find some real world experience somewhere.

Kevin.

Re: Heidelberg 2400XL

Here is a ebay store address for parts or stuff for it : I have a linotype-Hell Saphir Ultra 2 I am trying to get up running myself: Good Luck

http://stores.ebay.com/WebBanksNY_W0...sxQ3asstQQtZkm
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

I've got the same. It was worth a fortune once. It was developed by Linotype-Hell, but then the company was sold to printing-machine-giant Heidelberg. They left the scanning business one or two years later.

To run it you best use the Linocolor software version 6.0 Probably some users have run it on other software, but I don't have experience myself. It will run a bit slower than what you may be used to with modern scanners, but the results are superb. Comparable to the Imacon. This is very different stuff, compared to the consumermodels like the Saphir.

Most Linotypes can be run on a OS9 MAC or on a PC, but for this type I have only the Mac-equipment. You will need a SCSI-connection. If you need the software, just contact me. I cannot write dvd's on the machine involved, but I think it will fit on one or two cd's. I will try to find out if the software is protected one way or the opther.

I found a website of a german firm, who two years ago was still servicing the machine, but unfortunately I did not save the adress and I did not need their help. Just google.
    Last edited by seepaert; 26-Jan-2009 at 15:50. Reason: improvement of the answer.

After Hours of Frustration With Windows VISTA and the Linotype-Hell Saphir Ultra 2 scanner . I took it off Vista and put it on Windows XP platform and now I have it up and running to a point since I am still learn Silverfast Ai 6 also upgraded to 6.4xxxxx
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

I had the Saphir for years, until it broke up a few years ago. I remember paying almost 5000 guilders, about $ 2500 at that time, for it. It was a very good consumertype scanner, with results comparable to the current Epson 4990, that I own now next to the 2400. Both are faster, easier to operate, but also a little unsharp compared to the 2400. But it provided me with experience on Linocolor, for which I am still gratefull when operating the Heidelberg. Together with the Saphir scanner was a one day course on the software, which of course I did not get on the second hand Heidelberg. There are some differences in the 4.5 version for the Saphir and the 6.0 version for the Heidelberg.