Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of large format?

Cost of large format?

Okay, so I know from experience that you hate people like me. I know little about large format and less about the cost of getting started. I've been shooting for a bit over two years and found an amazing deal on a hasselblad 500c locally and film has been my real interest recently. I self develop my own B&W in my sink and have access to a darkroom at my highschool. They don't have enlargers big enough for 4x5, however. I own an Epson 4490 which I don't think is big enough for complete 4x5 scans. I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

So my question is what is the cost for a complete large format outfit that I can use for the rest of my life? One lens is all I would need for now. I'm toying with the idea of shooting large format and I think it's something I would really enjoy. I prefer a slow workflow.

Most of my film work is on my flickr, www.flickr.com/photos/connorroelke

Thanks in advance everyone.

Re: Cost of large format?

A Nikon Cafe guy! hello there, buddy.

The Camera and lens is one thing, I see you also will have some ha$$les maybe, in developing. Do they have any 4x5 developing tanks, etc at school ?

and your local craigslist there is a Bessler 23c for $100....talk em down.. It might be capable of adding4x5 stuff

and for only $15, you should grab this for the display shelf:
    http://nh.craigslist.org/pho/974228857.html lol. but really yes.

more darkroom:
    http://nh.craigslist.org/pho/973800898.html

Large Format may end up less expensive that a Hasselblad system if you buy more than one lens or could be much higher if you buy several of the more expensive LF lenses.

If you have access at school for medium format you may be better off with MF and using their equipment. Lots of us use both MF and LF and since you are in high school you probably have more time than some of us to learn to use them both very effectively. Bspeed is correct in that there is a bigger difference in equipment between 35mm and LF than in 35mm and MF and if you are using a high school darkroom some of your options may be limited.

To your original question is for a used good camera that is relatively new plus a decent lens, film holders, light meter etc you could fit yourself up for 700 to 850. There are also lots of less expensive ways to go LF, my first camera was a 5X7 with lens and 4X5 reducing back for $300 and although that was years ago, someone I know got a similar type of system for approximately the same amount last year. A Crown Graphic with lens may be under 250.

Tripod needed for both formats as is a light meter. Something that is usually mentioned to a beginner is that very few stay with the first LF camera they buy and there is a lot of truth in that. Some cameras are more portable, some are better for wide angle lenses while others support longer lenses better, the metal versus wood and the field versus monorail aspects and finally in LF there are many different formats and only experience lets you know which is for you.
    Prior to getting into LF read lots. Ask lots of questions but think them through first and the answers will be more useful if you do.

I have no answer as to why we would hate you, envy your youth sometimes perhaps but not sure as to the hate reference.

maybe you'd get a better answer asking how long is a piece of string?

In all seriousness, you can spend as little or as much as you can afford (or not afford), you'll be trading sweat equity for cost, but it can be done inexpensively.

Well, it depends on what size LF you'll be happy with "for the rest of your life". For under $300 you can scratch together a Crown Graphic set-up...hand hold it or put it on a pod (I think the Busch press cameras are better than the Graphics). It would be a nice in-between camera -- allowing you to take some of the action images I saw on your site, but also to slow down and study the composition on the ground glass for those B&W images like I saw of Maine.

If you wanted to go with a full-blown field 4x5 (more movement than a press camera, but not the weight and bulkiness of a studio monorail camera), then you will have to toss in several more hundred dollars. And keep your eyes out for a 4x5 enlarger going cheap on Craig's List.

Cameras...(using ebay for examples only)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ikeda-Anba-4x5-Field-View-Camera_W0QQitemZ190278636500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item190278636500&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Or this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NAGAOKA-4-X-5-WOODEN-FIELD-CAMERA-EXC_W0QQitemZ110317730083QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item110317730083&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Or a metal version

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOYO-FIELD-45AII-FOLDING-4x5-FIELD-CAMERA-BODY-AS-IS_W0QQitemZ220341758062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item220341758062&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

It would be nice to find a complete system for sale...but if one was to get only one lens, my vote is for a Caltar IIN 150mm...small inexpensive and a high quality lens. But what focal length to get is a matter of opinion...usually something between 120mm and 210mm perhaps?

It is like asking what kind of car should one buy -- so many possibilities!

Good luck! Vaughn

PS...sorry, looks like you will have to cut and paste those links.

Wow, I really appreciate the responses everyone.

The hate reference it's sometimes repetitive to read the I'm new what do I do kind of posts without much description of what the person is looking for.

I'll try my best to help.

Should be portable enough that I am willing to bring it places
    Must be cheap enough that I can still afford the developing gear needed/scanner. ~$500?
    Full movements would be nice
    I'd like to not buy another tripod but I know enough about LF that a study tripod is essencial. I have a bogen something with a small ballhead. Is there any chance I can get away with that?

I'm thinking that I might want to stick to medium format. I don't know. I want to shoot LF for the artistic control (and i'm not one to try and replicate tilt/shift in PS) and not so much for enormous prints. I could see 16x20s but rarely anything larger and my hasselblad could handle a 16x16 well.

So, before I open my very shallow wallet, is large format for me?

I'll check out the links/posts in more detail tomorrow. It's getting late.

Edit: the for the rest of my life comment was not entirely accurate. I could go with an intro to LF type camera as well.

well, if you're near St. Louis, I saw this last night, the price is certainly right:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pho/987776848.html

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorR View Post
    Wow, I really appreciate the responses everyone.

The hate reference it's sometimes repetitive to read the I'm new what do I do kind of posts without much description of what the person is looking for.

I'll try my best to help.

Should be portable enough that I am willing to bring it places
    Must be cheap enough that I can still afford the developing gear needed/scanner. ~$500?
    Full movements would be nice
    I'd like to not buy another tripod but I know enough about LF that a study tripod is essencial. I have a bogen something with a small ballhead. Is there any chance I can get away with that?

I'm thinking that I might want to stick to medium format. I don't know. I want to shoot LF for the artistic control (and i'm not one to try and replicate tilt/shift in PS) and not so much for enormous prints. I could see 16x20s but rarely anything larger and my hasselblad could handle a 16x16 well.

I'll check out the links/posts in more detail tomorrow. It's getting late.

Edit: the for the rest of my life comment was not entirely accurate. I could go with an intro to LF type camera as well.
    How enough is portable enough? Will you be carrying it in a back pack or in a suitcase or in the trunk of your car? You can find capable Calumet or Graphic monorails for right around $150. Add an extra $75 for an old tilt-all tripod.

Developing gear for large format can be wickedly expensive. A set of three trays from Freestyle will set you back 12 bucks and a graduate for another $10 or $12.

With a decent lens, I'd say you could easily be in the LF business.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorR View Post
    Yes, because you are the future of LF

Conner, Look for a deal that has a good lens or two involved.....

a crappy camera with decent to good lenses is a good way to get your lenses.
    I.E. a deal where the cost is so good, you could throw the camera in the trash!
    and keep the lens for when you find the better camera.

it will take a while to get everything, so perhaps just make it a longer term aquisition project.

food for thought.

You don't really need a big expensive tripod for 4x5. I use a bogen mid-range with ball head for digital and 4x5. If you use a cable release and avoid high wind it is fine. One reason I like large format is that the pictures with long exposures are (almost) always sharp, something I haven't been able to accomplish with dslr and anything longer than about 200mm lenses, even with remote release. My slr does not have mirror lock up and I'm sure that is the problem. My next one will!